Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2007 Focus ST3 for nearly two-years and is a fantastic car, but just wanted some advice or comments regarding the fuel compter in the dash.

Every time I fill the car with normal unleaded petrol, the dashboard display always says I have 272miles to empty. Not once have I ever had it saying anything over 280miles to empty. I live in Dagenham, and maybe once or twice a month I drive to the West Midlands, a trip about 160miles (door to door) and use up just short of half-a-tank with averaging speeds of around 80mph.

Is this the same with all the ST models? Anyone else had the same issue? I know it's not a major problem, but more like a pain with the current petrol prices of £1.08 in my area.

Apologies if I bored anyone, but just thought I'd ask.

Cheers

Wesley Jordan

·
Registered
244 Posts
In my experience it seems to work it out based on the last tank of fuel used.

So if you did 280 on your last tank it would display about 280 miles left once you fill up.

That's the way mine seems to work. My work car also seems the same and that's a focus too.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
After mine is filled it states on the miles to empty what every it works out based on the amount of fuel filled and the average consumption of the last few hundered miles. I have had every thing ranging from (on filling the tank up completly) 260 to 310 and every number in between

Is your miles to empty readout a Red one or Green one???

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine says what ever i got out of the previous tank. So, if i'm driving around towns and villages i'll get around 300 miles, so when i next fill up it'll say i have 300 miles to empty but that can change depending on how i drive. . .
I recently drove up to the lake district and back from cambridge and got a little over 500 miles out of a tank (less than 60 all the way, it was a fuel economy test, wanted to prove that mine can be as economical as my friends Golf GTi) and when i filled up after i got back it said i was going to get 480 miles but because i was again driving around towns and villages i only got about 300. So basically you are very unlikely to get the exact figure that it states on the computer after you fill up, it will go up or down depending on type of driving and how heavy your right foot is!! I'm sure i come across boring as sin here but it was the best way i could describe it!! Lol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE(Dazza123 @ 11 Dec 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...and got a little over 500 miles out of a tank...

WTF? how many MPG is that? I never get near to 500 kilometers, let alone 500 miles...

what is the most economical speed / RPM with the ST anyway?

greetz

Neil

·
Registered
720 Posts
QUOTE(Dazza123 @ 12 Dec 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine says what ever i got out of the previous tank. So, if i'm driving around towns and villages i'll get around 300 miles, so when i next fill up it'll say i have 300 miles to empty but that can change depending on how i drive. . .
I recently drove up to the lake district and back from cambridge and got a little over 500 miles out of a tank (less than 60 all the way, it was a fuel economy test, wanted to prove that mine can be as economical as my friends Golf GTi) and when i filled up after i got back it said i was going to get 480 miles but because i was again driving around towns and villages i only got about 300. So basically you are very unlikely to get the exact figure that it states on the computer after you fill up, it will go up or down depending on type of driving and how heavy your right foot is!! I'm sure i come across boring as sin here but it was the best way i could describe it!! Lol.

500 miles to a tank??
Are you driving the same petrol 2.5L turbo charged car I am driving?
I would say that kind of mileage is impossible from the Focus ST I am driving. 400 miles to a tank would be near impossible for me to reach no mater how hard I try.

·
Registered
124 Posts
But you have to remember that the turbo isn't constantly in until you reach 60 in 6th gear and you have a 2.5 pulling a weight that would usually be pulled by a 2 liter at the most. So if you do 55 mph and sit in the slip stream of a lorry (not too close obviously) then 47 + mpg is possible. I am running Mountune which may help because of the remap. The best i've managed is 150 miles out of a 1/4 of a tank which actually equates to 600 miles!! You have to be patient but on motor way journeys a 2.5 engine pulling a ton can be really economical. Try it if you can be bothered but believe me it's very boring!! Haha. Like i said i only did it to annoy my mate!! But it is possible if you go slow enough for long enough.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
QUOTE(Dazza123 @ 12 Dec 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But you have to remember that the turbo isn't constantly in until you reach 60 in 6th gear and you have a 2.5 pulling a weight that would usually be pulled by a 2 liter at the most. So if you do 55 mph and sit in the slip stream of a lorry (not too close obviously) then 47 + mpg is possible. I am running Mountune which may help because of the remap. The best i've managed is 150 miles out of a 1/4 of a tank which actually equates to 600 miles!! You have to be patient but on motor way journeys a 2.5 engine pulling a ton can be really economical. Try it if you can be bothered but believe me it's very boring!! Haha. Like i said i only did it to annoy my mate!! But it is possible if you go slow enough for long enough.

If i was to do that from Germany to Scotland it would take me about 3 days

I see your logic tho

·
Registered
124 Posts
QUOTE(davo1983 @ 12 Dec 2009, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If i was to do that from Germany to Scotland it would take me about 3 days

I see your logic tho
Haha! It probably would but you wouldn't use too much fuel in the process. I have to say, the new engine can only seem to manage 43 mpg on the motor way although i didn't go as far and it will probably get better as it beds in a bit more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts