Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got waved down by a police officer the other night, basicly he told me to turn my fog lights off and told me that it is now something offense (cant remember the word he used) but its now 3points and a fine for having ur fog lights on obv when its not foggy?
is this true?

(bleeding hope not)

cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(InNEs @ 18 Jan 2010, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why have them on when its not foggy? lol its really anoying when people drive with the back ones on in daylight with no fog!!

it was my front ones
and it was foggy when i left my house but where i was stopped was about 7miles away, and just forgot i had them on tbh.

·
Registered
218 Posts
according to the highway code...

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

and:

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

so presumably it can be considered an offence to drive with them on when they aren't necessary...

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(jameST73 @ 18 Jan 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i got waved down by a police officer the other night, basicly he told me to turn my fog lights off and told me that it is now something offense (cant remember the word he used) but its now 3points and a fine for having ur fog lights on obv when its not foggy?
is this true?

(bleeding hope not)

cheers

No change in the law, it has always been this way.

Never ever turn up to a meet with any of East of Central in attendance with you fogs lit lol

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
my brother got shouted at by the BiB for having his fogs on when it was perfect visibility. He came home effing and jeffing, "why are they picking on me" and all that .... but the law's pretty simple, if you drive with your fog lights on when it's not foggy you are a complete t
sser (not calling the OP just saying in general).

The giveaway is in the name really

oh ps - I hope it is a points and fine offence cos if you can't pay attention to road conditions enough to realise you need to turn your fog lights off then perhaps one shouldn't be driving

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 18 Jan 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my brother got shouted at by the BiB for having his fogs on when it was perfect visibility. He came home effing and jeffing, "why are they picking on me" and all that .... but the law's pretty simple, if you drive with your fog lights on when it's not foggy you are a complete t
sser (not calling the OP just saying in general).

The giveaway is in the name really

Does that mean I only put my headlights on if im getting ....... think I will leave this one alone

·
1,285 Posts
This is something that I hate to see.

If 99% of other road users remember to turn theirs off, what makes the 1% any different? People are under a misapprehension at the moment.

Some cars are coming with "driving lights" fitted like the Audi's and such like and the local "boyz" brigade think that it gives them the right to use their fog lights as well. WRONG!!!!!

The excuse "I forgot they were on" is a rubbish excuse... there should be a nice bright light on your dashboard telling you that they are on.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
You have to physically turn the fogs on on a Ford, plus they reset back to off everytime you turn the lights off.

There is an indicator light shown on the dash when they are on, plus I will give you full beam if you are travelling towards me with them on unneccessarily.

If you get points after all this, then it's your own fault. And let's be honest the vast majority of "front fog users" are posing.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
There's a thread on another forum I frequent on the subject of fog lights misuse...this from a serving trafic cop:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personally I think the misuse of fog lights has far more to do with ignorance than intelligent interpretation of the rules.
"Sorry officer, I forgot they were on" That's fine, here's a ticket for not paying attention.
"Sorry officer, I didn't realize they were on" That's also fine, here's a ticket for not knowing what that warning light on the dash is for"
"But officer, they're driving lights, not fog lights". That's fine, here's a ticket for having lights that don't comply with regulations. Driving lights have to go out when you dip the headlights.
"But officer, it foggy and I can't see very far". That's OK, we'll go to court then and you can explain to the magistrate why you were driving at 70mph when you couldn't see where you were going.....

Isn't life great sometimes...!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone's interested take a look at the Advanced Driving website and specifically: clicky

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Worst thing ever put on a car (even worse than headlight washers)

Very few people seem to know when to use them and as they fit them on 80% of cars now the problem has got worse.

People can't even use the excuse they make the car look cool when it is on a scenic

I have only ever had to have them on twice in 5 years.

Also a test of if you need them on is do you have to turn your dipped beam off due to them reflecting on the fog, if the answer is no then you do not need your fog lights, as these are there to replace the lght form your headlights when you are traveling at about 10mph (due to the very dense fog) simple!!!!!

The boys with the Lotus' on here will all agree these things are dangerous when they come towards you burning your eyes out

And don't even get me onto the L200's and rangerover sports

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.