Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought my clutch was slipping, so I went and got a new clutch.

Mechanic took the gearbox out etc and said the clutch looks fine but there is quite a lot of play in the flywheel. Would this give symptoms of the clutch slipping? Is this a regular occurrence with remapped cars?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't know enough of the technical side to comment on whether the flywheel itself would give clutch slip symptoms but in most cases it is recommended to get the RS clutch AND flywheel. It is much better at handling the torque of a remapped engine.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(3 door dave @ 2 Feb 2010, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I thought my clutch was slipping, so I went and got a new clutch.

Mechanic took the gearbox out etc and said the clutch looks fine but there is quite a lot of play in the flywheel. Would this give symptoms of the clutch slipping? Is this a regular occurrence with remapped cars?

No! The flywheel having play in it would just feel clunky!

·
Registered
340 Posts
flywheel should move a little about three teeth, i had a clutch slip, but it only happend in 6th gear, once i hit 3K rpm it span up to 4 then back down to 3.5 rpm. Also it only did this in the winter time never in the summer
. i would presume if pulled apart it would look ok.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(nigst @ 2 Feb 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>flywheel should move a little about three teeth, i had a clutch slip, but it only happend in 6th gear, once i hit 3K rpm it span up to 4 then back down to 3.5 rpm. Also it only did this in the winter time never in the summer
. i would presume if pulled apart it would look ok.

Spot on Nige! Mine slipped about 4 or 5 times in 44000 miles, always in top gear, always accelerating from 60 or so and ALWAYS when it was below freezing and damp on the road! When the clutch was changed it looked about 50% worn and there was no signs of burning or scoring! Flywheel looks ok too! It seems to be that some 07MY cars had weak springs rather than the whole clutch!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Im currently having to replace my flywheel due to it duffing out starter motors. Its broke 2 in a month. The guy at Ford said it cant handle the amount of Torque a remapped ST chucks at it. Im not sure why it causes starter motor problems but apparently it does. Im gonna replace mine with the RS items when i have the cash. Im running Mod C by the way.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
IIRC Gary at Profile once said it's more likely to be the DMF slipping than it is the clutch on all these slipping cars, they can slip just as clutches can and the symptoms are the same.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hmmm, I'm currently toying with the idea of a remap (possibly even Mountune conversion). Didn't realise I'd have to get an uprated clutch at the same time... What maps are you guys running (and torque figures)?

·
Vendor
2,676 Posts
QUOTE(3 door dave @ 2 Feb 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So just replace tbe clutch first and see?

I am certain that would be false economy - we have changed many ST clutches over the last 18 months

We check each unit once we have removed it.

On approx 70% of the cars it is clear that the friction plate has been slipping - the friction plate is worn, the bell housing is full of dust (smells) and you can see 'scorch' marks in the flywheel face.

However the remaining 30% are certainly the flywheel slipping. It is very hard to correctly test the flywheel - When new they can be turned by hand 2-3 teeth - worn ones you can turn by hand 6-7 teeth

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(Shaggy @ 3 Feb 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im currently having to replace my flywheel due to it duffing out starter motors. Its broke 2 in a month.
Sounds similar to the problem Ford used to have on the diesel lump in Mondeo's, Transit etc - the DMF on those would break up causing dust and
to get into the workings of the starter motor and wreck that too. I've got a feeling sometimes the ring gear on the DMF would break and wreck the meshing gear on the starter motor too

So it was common they'd replace the starter motor at the same time as the DMF and clutch. Not a cheap repair and lots of them failed, so much that Ford brought out a Single Mass Flywheel kit for service.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 3 Feb 2010, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds similar to the problem Ford used to have on the diesel lump in Mondeo's, Transit etc - the DMF on those would break up causing dust and
to get into the workings of the starter motor and wreck that too. I've got a feeling sometimes the ring gear on the DMF would break and wreck the meshing gear on the starter motor too

So it was common they'd replace the starter motor at the same time as the DMF and clutch. Not a cheap repair and lots of them failed, so much that Ford brought out a Single Mass Flywheel kit for service.

Thats what i suspect is happening, Im having the RS clutch and flywheel fitted soon. I just hope its not totalled the starter motor as its still all shiny and new. The problem with the starter from the ST is its a permanantly sealed unit so cant be repaired. If i do need a new one I'll be going to the breakers next time as Ford charge too much, 300quid for
sake. All I get from mine is a 'click' noise which sounds like a sticking solenoid.

EDIT. Sorry about the thread hijack Dave. Ive got a topic on it here so if anyone has any advice ill be on that thread. http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/Starting-P...ain-t62097.html

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(wolfman @ 3 Feb 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When new they can be turned by hand 2-3 teeth - worn ones you can turn by hand 6-7 teeth

Surely that amount of play wouldnt give the symptoms of clutch slip described so many times on here though Gary?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
QUOTE(RichFST @ 3 Feb 2010, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmmm, I'm currently toying with the idea of a remap (possibly even Mountune conversion). Didn't realise I'd have to get an uprated clutch at the same time... What maps are you guys running (and torque figures)?

You might be ok with your clutch mate some people have experianced clutch slip but not everyone has had issues. I for one have had very little in the way of clutch slip and I am running 320 bhp with 348 lbft. The clutch was just starting to slip a little bit under heavy acceleration in top gears before I upgraded mine.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks Menzies. Sounds like luck of the draw then. Mine is a 2007 57 if it can be tied to production dates. I'd have to check that actual build date though.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
QUOTE(menzies26 @ 4 Feb 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You might be ok with your clutch mate some people have experianced clutch slip but not everyone has had issues. I for one have had very little in the way of clutch slip and I am running 320 bhp with 348 lbft. The clutch was just starting to slip a little bit under heavy acceleration in top gears before I upgraded mine.

I get it quite bad running less power than you but it only seems to be in 6th gear and on rare occasions 5th. Like you say it seems not everyone has it and those that do get it experience different levels of it. If that makes any sense

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE(menzies26 @ 4 Feb 2010, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think I have heard of a single Mountune car that has suffered from clutch slip

From another thread

QUOTE(jim g @ 18 Jan 2010, 08:18 PM) *
There are people that experience clutch slip with bluefin aswell.

jim g

--------------------

And with Mountune as well whistle.gif

Taken from the RS site

'My ST was a 2007 ST2 which I owned from new, Mountuned in May 2008 and recorded 41k total miles. The ST will slip its clutch in the higher gears but don't worry too much about that...

--------------------
DSCi Map, DSCi Induction, De-cat = 287 BHP & 381 lbs ft

SpiketheTyke

·
Registered
648 Posts
mine started slipping a bit as soon as i flashed to dsci....it got worse and worse untill it was so bad, that even when put back to stock...it slipped then as well!!!!

when my clutch came out, they found it was my dmf that was the problem, not the clutch...in fact....although i wasnt aware, my car already had an RS clutch in it....but standard dmf

with both now upgraded, i have no slip at all

1 - 20 of 23 Posts