Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst accelerating in 4th gear and with revs at about 3k, the ECU light came on and flashed several times. The engine would not pull full power and after about 5 secs the light stopped flashing and all returned to normal.

Has anyone experienced this before? Thought it might be a fuelling problem?

I will plug in the bluefin to see what the error code is at some point, so hopefully this will tell me a bit more.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(turbotone @ 3 Jan 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whilst accelerating in 4th gear and with revs at about 3k, the ECU light came on and flashed several times. The engine would not pull full power and after about 5 secs the light stopped flashing and all returned to normal.

Has anyone experienced this before? Thought it might be a fuelling problem?

I will plug in the bluefin to see what the error code is at some point, so hopefully this will tell me a bit more.

You positive it wasn't the ESP light matey? If it wasn't I'd just do a KAM reset and see how it goes or as you say check for fault codes

Chris

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plugged in the Bluefin handset tonight and there are no DTC's recorded
??

I then checked to see if there were any DTC's by doing the self test, but again no sign of any.

This has surprised me, as if the ECU light came on, even flashing, surely there would be some record of it?

Has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm not sure with Fords but with VAGs the fault has to occur 3 times before it's stored in the ecu memory (light can therefore come on twice and nothing shows on diagnostics)

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
I think it may be that some faults can only be read on fords obd reader? I had a misfire on and off for a few months but it left no codes on ds handset or scangauge, I ended up changing the mag sensor and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had an ST170, all seemed fine until i accelerated up to 60-70 and then the ECU light flashed. The flashing indicates a misfire and it turned out to be one of the HT leads were not pushed on fully onto the spark plug. Thats all it was!

Your problem maybe something similar. I don't think the ST has HT leads but it does have something similar.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your input.

I have now got a constant ECU light on and the 2 DTC codes are P0300 and P0304, which points to a misfire on multiple and cylinder 4.

I guess it is time to get it to a garage unless anyone has anymore suggestions?

PHILJB- where is the MAG sensor located?

Cheers

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found this article extraction on the Volvo sensors. I am pretty sure now it must be a MAP sensor issue, as the symptoms are exactly as I am getting.

MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE (MAP) SENSOR. This sensor is mounted on or connected to the intake manifold to monitor intake vacuum. It changes voltage or frequency as manifold pressure changes. The computer uses this information to measure engine load so ignition timing can be advanced and retarded as needed. It performs essentially the same job as the vacuum advance diaphragm on an old fashioned mechanical distributor.

On engines with a "speed density" type of fuel injection, the MAP sensor also helps the PCM estimate airflow. Problems here may cause an intermittent check engine light (light comes on when accelerating or when the engine is under load), hesitation when accelerating, elevated emissions and poor engine performance. The engine will run with a bad MAP sensor, but it will run poorly. Some PCMs can substitute "estimated data" for a missing or out of range MAP signal, but engine performance will be drastically reduced.

MAP Sensor Strategies: Some MAP sensor problems are not the fault of the sensor itself. If the vacuum hose that connects the MAP sensor to the intake manifold is loose, leaking or plugged, the sensor can't produce an accurate signal. Also, if there is a problem within the engine itself that causes intake vacuum to be lower than normal (such as a vacuum leak, EGR valve that's stuck open or leaky PCV hose), the MAP sensor's readings may be lower than normal.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE(turbotone @ 19 Jan 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for all your input.

I have now got a constant ECU light on and the 2 DTC codes are P0300 and P0304, which points to a misfire on multiple and cylinder 4.

I guess it is time to get it to a garage unless anyone has anymore suggestions?

PHILJB- where is the MAG sensor located?

Cheers

Sounds like it could be a faulty coil pack on no 4 cylinder mate. Check the connections first !!

Its the MAF sensor mate and its located in the pipe that goes over the engine cover from the airbox and is next to the battery.

Edit : - or the MAP sensor as above

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers RIK.

Don't think it is a MAF problem, as it only happens when the boost reaches the red line on the guage. Could be the coil pack, but still think it is a MAP problem, as it does not occur at lower boost levels. I am going to load a stage 1, or standard map to see if it still happens, just to see if it is an overboost problem, before taking to Ford!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts