Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys and girls im fiiting my miltek cat back non res exhaust tommorow.im not using a ramp just guna use wheel up ramps or a jack.good idea or bad idea. or do i need a ramp?and how easy is it to fit the exhaust?what do u need sockets spanners?gaskets?if any one could get back to me regards mick

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(st3 mick @ 26 Jan 2010, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi there guys and girls im fiiting my miltek cat back non res exhaust tommorow.im not using a ramp just guna use wheel up ramps or a jack.good idea or bad idea. or do i need a ramp?and how easy is it to fit the exhaust?what do u need sockets spanners?gaskets?if any one could get back to me regards mick

It should be an easy job apart from cutting the old exhaust off! (cut it at the top of the loop where it goes over the rear suspension) I think the only nuts to undo are the 2 that bolt the exhaust to the cat which might be rusty! The rest is just hung on anti vibration rubber bushes! Cant remember the size of the nuts but they are probably either 15mm, 17mm or 19mm! If you do it on axle stands make sure they are securely supporting it before getting under it! Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do it with the car on a jack alone!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Bear in mind, my local Milltek dealer fitted my cat back exhaust on a ramp etc and it took them over an hour till they were happy with it.....

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
The standard nuts from cat-back to cat are 15mm hex.

Depending on the design of the cat-back you may need new bolts if these aren't supplied and the cat-back has not got captive studs. Probably won't, so if you need bolts you're looking at M10x50 or M10x60 plus M10 nuts and washers. These probably be 17mm.

For dropping the cat-back, as Fishy says you'll need to cut it where the pipe routes over the rear suspension frame. Try to cut it on a straight section so a joining sleeve can be used in the future if you want to refit it. My mate cut mine off with a reciprocating saw, lot easier than trying to get in there with a hacksaw or similar.

Also, depending how the Miltek hangs on the back of the car you might need to unbolt the 2 hanger plates which the blue rubbers are hung off - 13mm spanner or socket needed for these, then you're also likely to need to tighten up nuts on the clamp attaching the new back-box to the midpipe.

If the Miltek has adjustable tailpipes the clamps are likely to be 15mm.

Might be handy to use some masking tape or similare to protect the rear bumper cut-outs while the standard exhaust is swinging about as you take it off, and I would recommend getting the help of a mate or stocking up on the shredded wheat before you start - that Ford back-box is rather heavy to juggle about under the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts