Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 ST 3 and have today purchased LED bulbs for the interior. The only minor issue is that with all the doors shut the rear courtesy light is receiving a small amount of current and causing the LED to illuminate slightly. This does not happen when the normal non LED bulb is fitted. Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there an easy fix??

Cheers

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a 2008 ST 3 and have today purchased LED bulbs for the interior. The only minor issue is that with all the doors shut the rear courtesy light is receiving a small amount of current and causing the LED to illuminate slightly. This does not happen when the normal non LED bulb is fitted. Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there an easy fix??

Cheers
i have the same problem i dont know how to fix it i think there is no way to be fixed though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the same problem i dont know how to fix it i think there is no way to be fixed though
The only thing I can think of is to try and get a blue non-LED bulb if that is possible?? I don't even know if they exist to be fair.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I haven't had the problem, but i think it is the LED only needs a small amount of power to make it light up where as the Non LED needs more power so that is why the Non LED will not illuminate.

I dont think there is any fixes, unless you buy another kind of bulb

·
Registered
260 Posts
It is down to the fact that the LEDs need so little power that they will illuminate with very little power.

I have LED lights around my house which replaced old halogen ones and when turned off at the wall they are all very slightly lit.

A resistor that takes the current down to pretty much 0 when off would be a good bet but if it is too high in resistance you risk getting no light when on.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
what about tinting or darkening the LED surface so it doesnt look like its on when it shouldnt be? just an alternative thought..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about tinting or darkening the LED surface so it doesnt look like its on when it shouldnt be? just an alternative thought..
Thanks a lot that's a good suggestion, I will also look at the resistor idea. The main issue for me is that where I have to park my car it's on an almost completely pitch black lane at the rear of my house, so any light like that just draws attention to my car.

Interestingly though it's obviously the same bulbs that I have fitted into the foot well sockets and they go out no problem, it's obviously something to do with the switch setup in the rear courtesy light.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Doesnt happen with mine. But i had deard of this issue. So because of that, and because i wanted a strong light, i bought a LED that requires a bit more power (because it lights better). So maybe this is why i dont have this problem. Same for the front interior light.

Although i have to say that my map LEDs are weak and i still dont see them lit. Perhaps its the make of the LED too. Some might be fine.

Anyway...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't worry about it, it stays lit because of the canbus feed of around 5v, not enough to light the normal lamp but will light a low power LED.

Out of interest, take a look about an hour or so after you've locked up and see if it's gone out completely - it should have.

I had the same issue with my RS and mine goes out completely after a while - not sure if it's linked to the drivers information display time-out delay because I've never had the urge to sit waiting...

Nothing to worry about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts