Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great how-to. Very clear and good photos. I was gonna get pumabuild to do this while I was getting eibachs fitted, but I'm starting to think I should just put the money for fitting cost into axle stands and a jack instead! Really miss the garage, tools and pit back home in Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great how-to. Very clear and good photos. I was gonna get pumabuild to do this while I was getting eibachs fitted, but I'm starting to think I should just put the money for fitting cost into axle stands and a jack instead! Really miss the garage, tools and pit back home in Northern Ireland.
If they charge anymore for doing this at the same time as springs then they need shooting! Its a really easy job to do most of the time is getting the car up in the air!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Fitted mine today in about 15mins easy.
Simple job especially with a pit available.

The gear change is soooo much better now

Much more precise.

There is more vibration in the cabin though but it will probably die down a bit.

one thing to watch out for is I just spent the last hour finding an annoying rattle which started from the back, was the bracket on the rear bumper near the exhaust pipe, rivited so only fix was two cable ties, no more rattle!!

See the attached photo of the old mount , should the gaps be there or not? DSC00192.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Fitted mine today in about 15mins easy.
Simple job especially with a pit available.

The gear change is soooo much better now:thumbsup:
Much more precise.

There is more vibration in the cabin though but it will probably die down a bit.

one thing to watch out for is I just spent the last hour finding an annoying rattle which started from the back, was the bracket on the rear bumper near the exhaust pipe, rivited so only fix was two cable ties, no more rattle!!

See the attached photo of the old mount , should the gaps be there or not? View attachment 38687
Mine and Daves both looked exactly the same so im guessing the gaps should be in the rubber

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yea it takes longer to get the car on the axle stands than it does to fit the mount. I fitted mine a couple of weekends ago. Had it fitted, all tools packed away and took it for a B-road test drive before any of the neighbours had even got out of bed :-D

I think I used a 15mm socket for the original bolts and a 19mm spanner and socket for the new horizontal bolt.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Going to make myself look a right divot here but.... what is it and what does it do?
I'm suprised you havn't stumbled across the many threads on this but it basically it replaces the rather flimsy gearbox mount with a much stiffer one. So when you shift gears the engine stays put rather than 'rocking' about, which you'll probably feel, especially when giving it a bit of enthusiasm.

The one teeny downside is that you can feel VERY small vibrations through your steering wheel when idling, but this went for me after about a week, that or it's so tiny I just don't notice it anymore, but honestly it's nothing at all significant.

Overall the car feels a lot more solid and composed. I would fully recommend it mate!

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
either there ebay shop just search for Vibra technics Torque link Focus ST or i believe you can pm "TheCustomTouch" aka Adam who will be able to supply you one

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Fitted mine today - as you say, it was pretty straightforward - even for a dullard like me.

One thing though - the bolts on the OEM mount were 15mm on my car. The 16mm socket could not get a purchase..

Admittedly, my car is a pre-facelift - wouldn't have thought that would make a difference though?

Great "How-To" though!!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts