Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does any one know or have a guide on how to install additional power sockets? I am wanting to create another one hidden behind the centre console for charging my ipod and one for the boot.

Regards
Rich

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I dont have a how to but I have done exactly what you want to for my TOMTOM.

What I did was...

I bought one of these from Halfords:

and cut the plug off. I added an inline fuse like this to the 12v + wire:

I wired it to the wires coming off the back of the cigarette lighter (which are either RED and BLACK or ORANGE and BROWN) using the connectors (Available from Halfords) below. They fit over the existing wire and allow you to put another wire into it:

This means that there is always power to the device even if the engine is off.
I then stored it inside the centre console.

I hope that helps a little

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
You might want to add an additional in-line fuse somewhere.

I suspect the plug that was cut off had it's own fuse, which obviously now doesn't exist.

If you're just running things like RoadAngel's and/or SatNav's off the additional socket, you can put a pretty low Amperage fuse in there.

This will prevent you from running something chunky (like an inverter) off the additional socket(s) and overloading the wiring/fuse in the fusebox.

Just make sure you can get to the in-line fuse to replace it if you need to

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Oh god, I forgot to add about the fuse I used! Original post amended - Thank you!

I think the adapter was around £6.99, all the connectors were £3.99 and the in-line fuse was about £3.99 too.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Great how to Chris 424. I want to do the same as Rich M to hard wire in my tom tom.
Would either of you be able to tell me how you get to the wires on the back on the cigarette lighter? Was it a case of pulling it from its fixing or going at it from rond the back of the dash?

·
Registered
76 Posts
One thing guys !

be aware of those scotch locks, if you don`t fit those correctly it will cut into the wire that you lock onto which will then reduce the capabillty of the cable ,reducing ampage and cause overheating , which we all know what happens next , 999 fire

why dont you try using the tunnel connections there are a much better fit and safer way

try these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...cm_vc=IOV4PLPZ1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.