Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to fit my RS injectors which have been sitting around for a while - this went well thanks to Fishfaces excellent 'How to' guide to which I will later add my comments as I did it slightly differently. Only real problem was removing and refitting the standard air box (yes I know I should bin it!) which is a right pain, as we all know. Car started fine and showed no faults so off I went to 'test them out' as it were. Drives great, smooth and responsive....however...on arriving back after 20 miles a cloud of smoke seemed to surround the car - at first I thought I'd lunched the clutch, but it turns out its steam and a couple of pints of coolant have exited the system. It would appear that the problem may be a leak under the airbox, possibly caused by all that ragging on the airbox which is required to get it out from the engine bay. So, looks like tomorrow I'll have the joyous job or removing the airbox again...I just wondered if anyone can confirm that there is a hose under the airbox that is the likely culprit? Steam seemed to be coming from between the MF housing, plenum area. Cheers guys...

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Well I decided to fit my RS injectors which have been sitting around for a while - this went well thanks to Fishfaces excellent 'How to' guide to which I will later add my comments as I did it slightly differently. Only real problem was removing and refitting the standard air box (yes I know I should bin it!) which is a right pain, as we all know. Car started fine and showed no faults so off I went to 'test them out' as it were. Drives great, smooth and responsive....however...on arriving back after 20 miles a cloud of smoke seemed to surround the car - at first I thought I'd lunched the clutch, but it turns out its steam and a couple of pints of coolant have exited the system. It would appear that the problem may be a leak under the airbox, possibly caused by all that ragging on the airbox which is required to get it out from the engine bay. So, looks like tomorrow I'll have the joyous job or removing the airbox again...I just wondered if anyone can confirm that there is a hose under the airbox that is the likely culprit? Steam seemed to be coming from between the MF housing, plenum area. Cheers guys...
Only hose that sometime people forget is just under the plenum to the left, where the boost hose connects to the plenum but im not sure how you would of suffered coolant loos unless you've disturbed a coolant hose ??

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Yep, there is a coolant hose in that vacinity dude

Id say however that you have more than likely dislodged the metal clip off the top of the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing and its blown the sensor out

·
Registered
259 Posts
The thermostat housing is on the front of the block lower right hand side below the inlet and behind the air box, 2 hoses go to it and temp sensor in the top of it. Perhaps one of these has been disturbed or nicked.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Here's a pic of what's under there.....

You may have dislodged the big black hose when you were getting the airbox out.
The stupid pegs on the airbox can cause all sorts of havoc in that vacinty
Daves not the first and won't be the last to suffer this issue after refitting the airbox

get it binned Dave and buy an ind kit

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,231 Posts
When I had my alternator replaced at a Ford dealer they knocked a clip off (or something like that) when they replaced the airbox causing a leak. Chances are this is what you have done.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas! I'm going out ot the freezing wasteland that we have here this morning to investigate - I'm sure you guys are right about the pipes to the thernostat housing - we'll see in a couple of hours....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Temp sensor had lost the retaining clip, I expect refitting the airbox had sprung it off as the lower left lug passes right over the sensor when manouvering the airbox back in - so the water leak is fixed but now the temp gauge is suddenly shooting up to the red mark and engine light coming on, but only when giving it the beans and it shoots up to the red in seconds and drops back to normal in seconds too. Also the heater is blowing cold so I'm suspecting it's air-locked? If any one can confirm I'd be very grateful, even more so if you know the fix for air-locked cooling system! Thanks again....

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Let it cool down then put the heater on full hot on the temp dial! Take the cap off the header tank and top up to the correct level! Start the engine and let it idle for a while! The level should drop a bit as the air comes out of the system! Top it up again and put the cap back on then turn it off and let it cool again! If it needs topping up when cold top it up then try driving it again!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let it cool down then put the heater on full hot on the temp dial! Take the cap off the header tank and top up to the correct level! Start the engine and let it idle for a while! The level should drop a bit as the air comes out of the system! Top it up again and put the cap back on then turn it off and let it cool again! If it needs topping up when cold top it up then try driving it again!
Cheers my man! Just off out in the snow to try this....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, there is a coolant hose in that vacinity dude

Id say however that you have more than likely dislodged the metal clip off the top of the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing and its blown the sensor out
Absolutely spot on! You are, and wil remain, a legend !!

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,231 Posts
Fishface's solution should work OK, but another way of releasing an air lock is to bleed the system at the highest possible point by easing the nearest coonector. Not had to do this on this car but on other cars there is usually a hose available that will do this. Garages use a pressure pump to re-fill the system to forcce coolent arounf the system to ensure that no air lock form.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The coolant system should bleed itself. Follow Andy's post on that.
The return lines to the expansion tank help here. One goes from the gearbox end of the engine block, and one from the top of the radiator over to the tank.
You can see them in my pics, quite plain with lime green hoses

We've had a few peeps over here in Oz do this with their airbox too.

If the sensor is damaged, particularly if you nicked the wires, maybe it doesn't get a good signal.

There are so many reasons not to have a stock airbox, most have nothing to do with performance, lol

That thing is a nightmare and best relegated to the bin.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have progress! Now have warm air from the blower and coolant topped up with plenty of neat anti-freeze (cos we're needing it here right now!) Will take it for a spin later and see if the gauge has settled down. Thanks to one & all

·
Registered
732 Posts
Don't use it neat! Best to have it 50/50 as the thermal transfer is better and unless you are driving around the north pole you won't encounter any problems. At least it's sorted and was an easy fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts