Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After setting up some IT at a new office in Warrington earlier this week, I then had a long drive back home to Poole yesterday afternoon. Sat nav took me down the M6 toll road, which was fine as it all goes on company expenses anyway :)

First impression was how amazingly quiet it was, I pretty much had all 3 lanes to myself most of the time. It struck me that this must've been how the early motorways were when they were first built (minus the tolls, of course).

One of the few cars I saw was a grey MK3 ST which flew past me (I was doing about 70) like I was standing still. A couple of miles up the road, I reached a set of toll booths and the ST was parked up on the hard shoulder, 100 yards or so before the tolls.

My guess is the tolls have ANPR, and Mr 'M6 Autobahn' was getting his average speed down to a more respectable figure before going through the cameras. Would I be right?

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st and a retro Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,701 Posts
It was better when it first opened, a hell of a lot cheaper and almost no police presence.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes not sure I'd want to pay £7 out of my own pocket if I was driving that part of the world regularly.

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,008 Posts
I used to love the Severn bridge toll all 14 or so lanes trying to converge into 3 lanes was like the start of a Grand Prix
Seen many a Miss Daisy racing out of the toll booth 😂

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,669 Posts
I used to love the Severn bridge toll all 14 or so lanes trying to converge into 3 lanes was like the start of a Grand Prix
Seen many a Miss Daisy racing out of the toll booth 😂
Do they still have the toll booths then as I thought the 'Welsh Tax' had been got rid of?

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
We always use the M6 Toll when visiting the other half's brother (near Wolverhampton). The clear road and lack of stress is worth paying for a once or twice as year.

As a private road the charge on the M6 Toll will always be there, unlike the bridges that had a toll to pay off the public cost of building them.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The section I was on definitely had them (albeit automated), as I had to stop and blip my bank card before the barrier would raise.

Regarding my original question, I did some googling and apparently ANPR cameras have recently been installed on the M6 toll, but they're not used for speed enforcement - only to remove the need for the toll booths.

Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras are to be fitted along the 27-mile Midlands motorway that's used by around 50,000 drivers daily. Bosses said the 'multi-million pound project' will convert the route to 'enhance the user experience and deliver further time efficiencies for those using the road'. The cameras will not be used to catch speeding drivers, it has been confirmed to This is Money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts