Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Fella's

I have been to look at an [07] plate Fiesta Zetec s tdci today for her indoors. Overall the car was in great original condition with a good amount of options fitted, full leather, privacy glass, reverse sensors etc etc.

There were 2 issues i would like advise about before i go ahead and purchase.

1. There was a small oil leak from the sump area, not sure wether the fiests's suffer from the same issues as the Focus ST's with the oil filter diaphram? - Are there any common faults qoth oil leaks? (The garage said this would be rectified before sale)

2. When we pulled off for a test drive there was a cloud of blue smoke on acceleration, it cleared after around 30 secs of driving and even under load theee was no smoke once warmed. The car had been stood for a couple of weeks over christmas, i had it ticking over whilst looking round it and there was no smoke, even from the cold start up it was clear.

The link to the car.

http://finance.autoexposure.co.uk/cl...8396387_1a.jpg

I would appriciate any advice guys and gals :)

Thanks in advance,

Christian.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've come across many 1.6 tdci and HDI engines with leaking sumps. The turbos are also prone to failing. Injector seats also fail a lot causing a chuffinf noise and fuemes in the engine bay

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That car in the link is also an ex ford motor co car hence why its got a good spec. You can also see the special sticker at the top of the passanger windowscreen

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That car in the link is also an ex ford motor co car hence why its got a good spec. You can also see the special sticker at the top of the passanger windowscreen
Thanks mate,

How can you tell its an ex ford car Chris? - (Iand yes it has the ford direct sticker in the window!)

Would either of the above issues put you off mate? - (the oil leak will be repaired before sale)

Cheers,
Christian.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Blue smoke would instantly put me off. That's generally the turbo oil seals failing. Either get them to fix it, or move on.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks mate,

How can you tell its an ex ford car Chris? - (Iand yes it has the ford direct sticker in the window!)

Would either of the above issues put you off mate? - (the oil leak will be repaired before sale)

Cheers,
Christian.
The numberplate and the sticker gives it away

Me personally wouldn't be put off with the above
I regulary used to see 1.9 cdti Astra's that where neaarly new puff a small amount of blue smoke on a cold start up when the egr valves where sticking slightly after being out on the pitch for weeks on end

·
Registered
874 Posts
My Mrs has one of these. Its a 57 plate with 42k on it. No oil leaks and no blue smoke at all. They are lovely cars and I think I would be tempted to see what else is about.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
If it was turbo seals Martin, surely it would smoke all the time, not just when cold?
Not sure, but a mate had a Corsa Diesel that would only blow blue smoke when it was cold and it wasn't long before it was in the garage completely
. Any blue smoke is definitely a sign to walk away in my book.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Was it definitely blue smoke and not the normal diesel smoke screen?
We have a 61 plate zetec s tdci, excellent little car, there are plenty about though so worth finding a good one.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Learnt to drive in one and I still remain to say if I had a few grand lying about I'd use the ST as the weekend car and the ZS as the daily hack. Fantastic little car to drive, simple bit of colour coding, side skirts and wheels makes it a FezST rep easily, really smart looking cars!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts