Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife's fiesta ST has had trouble with her rad cooling fan in that it would not switch off. After taking it to ford on two separate occasions they cleaned the relay switch which appeared to fix it. This has now happened a third time only this time when I came to connect the battery the next morning the fan did not come on (it usually does and it had not over heated the night before because the fan had run for 15 minutes). I took it to ford to complain that this was the third time and a technician told me it was a software issue and they would need to link it to a laptop and I booked it in for the day in February. I know I am getting on a bit now but I always thought the fan worked off a switch that basically reacted to heat and switched the fan on and off, no CPU needed? I have been using this ford dealer since 2002 with my V6 Mondeo and now with my focus ST and my wife's fiesta ST and all of them on top of their yearly service have a sixth month oil and filter change. They all have BFC every two years, air con 3 years etc. I consider I am a good customer and listen to their advice as it is always backed up by other areas when I read around. My question is, could this be a software issue or are they trying to pull a fast one because the fiesta is still under warranty, I have to be honest I will be a little disappointed with the dealer if they are!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Some cars these days actually have a small electronic module built into the radiator fan motor to control when it switches on and off, hardly anything electrical is simple these days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 24 Jan 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some cars these days actually have a small electronic module built into the radiator fan motor to control when it switches on and off, hardly anything electrical is simple these days.

Thank you for the really quick reply.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The fan is definitely controlled through the PCM( powertrain control module) it is also in use when the air conditioning is on. Could be a software issue of something else. Easiest fix first. The tech can switch on and off the fan from his "laptop" or IDS on demand to test it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts