Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some time to look at spraying the front grilles and the front/back fog-light surrounds. I've seen some great results from guys who have done this themselves. My question is whether the paint has remained in good condition?

The reason I ask is because a local paint sprayer has said that any plastic parts are normally sprayed in a plastisizer that stops the paint from fully curing. This is to give the paint a little flexibility (as the plastic is more prone to movement that a metal panel).

The short question is, do I do this myself, or get my local sprayer to do it?

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,195 Posts
I bought a set - grilles and foglight surrounds front and back professionally sprayed in an anthracite dark grey and they looked great. The front surrounds and grilles got chipped and in spite of my touching in they eventually, after 2 hard Winters were swapped out for the the stock ones that I'd kept.as they looked that bad.

I've not bothered to do it again.

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,669 Posts
You can do it yourself & save a chunk of cash! As always preparation is key. I did have some issues with the fronts on mine recently but it was down to using some old paint I think that reacted badly & caused everything to start flaking off. Clean them off well & rub them down. Then the correct plastic primer, key, top coat, key, & then finish with the lacquer.
Let it well cure which in this heat won't be long - fit - stand back - & admire!!

However the front ones will get stone chipped depending on how you use the car so they do need a bit of maintenance but no more than the usual maintenance for stone chips elsewhere.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I can save some money but as Graham has mentioned the effect may not last.

I rarely use the ST (68K at the moment) and so I think the paintwork will look good for some time. I guess it's like having your alloys refurbed...they will always need re-doing after a few years...depends on how particular you are in keeping the car in top nick. :)

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,195 Posts
I rarely use the ST (68K at the moment) and so I think the paintwork will look good for some time.
This is a big factor. When I got my painted stuff the car was a daily - often a 7 day week daily so if your usage is not so great they should last longer. Long time ago now but I think they were on the car for between 3/4 years.

The paint I had was a very dark grey and it had a bit of texture similar to Hammerite which for me looked better than plain black.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Easy to do yourself! The finish on mine is near perfect. Wash, rinse, dry, panel wipe, 2 coats primer, 2 coats paint. I went for a satin finish.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
If your confident and patient its fairly easy go get a good result . As mentioned , preparation is the keys to it all . I purchased and spare set of front and rear fog surrounds and painted those initially,

I chose to flatten the texture finish off of them to start with . A plastic primer first , followed by some sanding with wet and dry , followed by your chosen colour , ( i opted for gloss black ) , then finished off with clear lacquer .

Once fitted , i did the same to the original ones so i could swap them out when they got chipped . I dont think i did ever swap the rears out , as they never suffered from stone chips .

The grill is pretty much the same , but a lot more time consuming because of the complex pattern , but again you can achieve good results .

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,114 Posts
Had the outer surrounds done by a body shop and they've been fine so far. Inners remained standard - but only for aesthetics (imo anyway)

Wouldn't like to say what they did but had zero issues. I suspect with the right prep and primer and a few coats it'd be doable at home. Imo the inners would be harder to do just 'cos of texture etc - but others have had good success so worth a shot!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for replies.

I'm looking to get the front bumper painted as it has a ton of stone chips (from it's early life). They were reasonably well touched-up but as the rest of the car is looking good, it's a part of the car that looks a bit shabby. :)

I'll get a quote from the sprayer to get all of the plastic + bumper done and then decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts