Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is the case of 'mind over matter' - but my car feels generally quicker when the ESP is switched off (when it isn't wheelspinning..). Has anyone else found this - or is it just all in my head??

·
Registered
477 Posts
QUOTE(gws73 @ 7 Feb 2010, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Think I'm heading that way too....

Just need some tyres with tread now

I need new tyres to, having spoke to the lads today at the breakfast meet, you can program the motor to have it switched off as default, do a search, i'm sure you will find something on it.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Oh no the old, I can drive better than a multi million pound system thread again.

A You cant

B it makes it no faster

C if you have problems making the car go fast with ESP this is because you drive badly so even more reason to have it on

·
Registered
477 Posts
QUOTE(Si @ 7 Feb 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh no the old, I can drive better than a multi million pound system thread again.

A You cant

B it makes it no faster

C if you have problems making the car go fast with ESP this is because you drive badly so even more reason to have it on

Mmmmm

·
Registered
481 Posts
QUOTE(Si @ 7 Feb 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh no the old, I can drive better than a multi million pound system thread again.

A You cant

B it makes it no faster

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
QUOTE(Si @ 7 Feb 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>C if you have problems making the car go fast with ESP this is because you drive badly so even more reason to have it on

Indeed, in fact those that feel otherwise may only still be here because of the system.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
These questions would be asked a hell of a lot less if the Traction Control and ESP systems were able to be switched independantly.

Those with a heavy foot (me included) will sometimes feel benefits with having the TC turned off, and on the odd time i do it, the car FEELS punchier off the line in 1st and 2nd plus there are times when the TC cuts in and kills power quite abruptly whereas with the ESP/TC on the tyres would only momentarily spin then grip and pull you along nicely thank you.

As for the Stability Control side of things I see no reason for having that turned off even if it was independant of the TC.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
QUOTE(Si @ 7 Feb 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh no the old, I can drive better than a multi million pound system thread again.

A You cant

B it makes it no faster

Uhhmmm allow me a bit of correction...

A : he didnt say he can drive faster , he said the response is different , the car accelerates better. So your comment is irrelevant i'm afraid.

B : It does make it faster and if you would just try it, you wouldnt have to beleive anyone here. With the first chance i get, i will try to make a video showing this. Granted the difference might be small, but its there. Its difficult to get this across from a video, and this is why i say "try it" (with an open mind).

C : another unwarranted and irelevant comment. He didnt say he has any of those problems...

That said, the topic indeed has been analyzed before, so a search would help.

Noone said that ESP is useless, nor that with ESP you can drive faster in bends etc. We're talking about the response of the car and the feeling of aliveness (is there such a word?), that is missing with the ESP on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ive done tests on both, with esp on it saved my life !!!!!! (ask lancastrian millau moutian road at night)
on the topgear track my best times were with esp on
coming out of bends you get spinup even feathering the throttle with esp off
once you get initial traction with esp off does feel faster
just done a grudge match with FF my best 0-60 time was with esp on
it all depends on the conditions

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mine is on nearly all the time, the only thing I feel with it on is that under hard acceleration it will limit you as it is going to take away wheel spin for you. I agree it should be sepeate TC and ESP.

Generally I will by a car get use to it, go somewhere big and empty, switch the ESP off and see what I can and cant do with the car... I figure if you find YOUR limits as a driver and how your car handles with it off then when ESP is on its going to aid you and hopefully stop a spin etc. But if the ESP kicks in then a wheel is skidding or spinning so the vehicles grip has been exceeded.

I believe that the Polics and Ambulance driving mannual states that you as a driver must be familiar with the handling characteristics of the vehicle and its controls and also aware of your limitations as the driver.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.