Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, i have a Scangauge2, have had it for a while now and one of the gauges i like to display is the air intake temp. Does anyone know where abouts these temperatures are recorded from i.e. the inlet manifold?????

I think it would be interesting to see what sort of temperatures people are getting with various mods especially with different intercoolers and i believe maybe induction kit would vary this!

I have the standard intercooler on my 07
, i believe it is the larger intercooler they brought out as standard.. i also have a dreamscience cais.. (i also have a turbo back mongoose system but i think this mod would be unrelated to intake temps) ohh and im running DSCI map
I would like to see results in 2 different conditions..

1 - I find that when cruising along the motorway or around town with little to no boost the intake temps stay at around 1-2degreesC above ambient temperature which i think is very good for standard intercooler, maybe the DS induction kit it is really good for gaining cold air? i would like to see if the results would be different for standard airbox!

2 - Also when giving it some beans for a short while the intake temps go to around 30-35degreesC which i also find pretty impressive for standard intercooler, although ambient temperatures were very low (roughly 3-4 degC). I wonder what the difference would be with an uprated intercooler?

I thought i would make a thread like this anyway just so we can compare how our mods affect the intake temperatures! Im hoping this could be a successful informative thread!
I hope you understand what i am talking about

Rob

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,381 Posts
I've also got that display on my one. I think that the Scangauge gets all of its info from the ECU, so you need to know what sensors the ECU has.

Over the Winter in normal driving my intake temps tend to be 2-4 degrees over ambient. IIRC, it was about 30 degrees in the hot weather last year.

I have a standard intercooler at the moment.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
I have the mods listed in my signature below.

Even when pushing on, I have NEVER managed to get the IA temperature more than a couple of degrees above ambient, and during "normal" driving it is either one degree above ambient or actually AT ambient. From what you are describing above, I would have to assume that this is the Radtec intercooler being much more efficient that the OEM version.

Interestingly, since fitting the DS induction kit the IA temperatures are now generally approximately one degree lower than before (i.e. with the K&N Gen II kit). This may well simply be coincidence, different environmental conditions etc.

Also, don't forget I am comparing the IA temperature displayed by the Scangauge to the ambient temperature readout displayed by the car - I know for a fact that the car ambient temperature readout isn't hugely accurate. There is going to be some tolerance in the readout from the scangauge too; if you multiply these two error rates together then the ACTUAL temperature differential may well be more/less than is displayed.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The intercooler won't have anything to do with air intake temp, the air intake temp will just be taken from around the inlet manifold somewhere, normally around the std filter, although I can't verify this on a ST.

The intercooler gets it's cold air from the front of the car and cools the intake charge so that doesn't have a bearing on the intake temps.
The reason uprated IC's work is because they can cool the charge more than the std IC.

When running throttle bodies and mapped ECU on my old Pug the intake sensor just sat near the air filters on the bodies as the reading doesn't have a massive effect on the mapping parameters, it wasn't even in the airbox, just sat nearby.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 1 Mar 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the mods listed in my signature below.

Even when pushing on, I have NEVER managed to get the IA temperature more than a couple of degrees above ambient, and during "normal" driving it is either one degree above ambient or actually AT ambient. From what you are describing above, I would have to assume that this is the Radtec intercooler being much more efficient that the OEM version.

Interestingly, since fitting the DS induction kit the IA temperatures are now generally approximately one degree lower than before (i.e. with the K&N Gen II kit). This may well simply be coincidence, different environmental conditions etc.

Also, don't forget I am comparing the IA temperature displayed by the Scangauge to the ambient temperature readout displayed by the car - I know for a fact that the car ambient temperature readout isn't hugely accurate. There is going to be some tolerance in the readout from the scangauge too; if you multiply these two error rates together then the ACTUAL temperature differential may well be more/less than is displayed.

ahh very interesting! Yeah I was comparing my IA temps against the ambient readout on my dash. It's interesting that your temp increases are very minimal in comparison to mine with the standard intercooler.
Maybe standard intercooler is actually
lol.
I'd like to see what other people are getting!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I run the radtec cooler and same as choccy, can't get the Air temps on the scanguage to rise when driving. Sits at 1-2 degrees over ambient for most of the time and maybe everynow and again it goes to 5-6 degrees above if being used "in the spirit" but apart from when the car has been static and sat idleing I have never seen the temps go 30 degrees over ambient. There's a reason so many people run aftermarket intercoolers

·
Registered
874 Posts
I run the radtec cooler and same as choccy, can't get the Air temps on the scanguage to rise when driving. Sits at 1-2 degrees over ambient for most of the time and maybe everynow and again it goes to 5-6 degrees above if being used "in the spirit" but apart from when the car has been static and sat idleing I have never seen the temps go 30 degrees over ambient. There's a reason so many people run aftermarket intercoolers
I run the DS I/C and same temperatures are shown as yours

·
Registered
84 Posts
just few degrees over ambient temp even under full load would be a better result than all IC fabricator promises. Maybe the "intake temp" is the temperature measured by the MAF?

I'm not sure if the
has a sensor for measuring charge air temperature?!

·
Registered
293 Posts
from memory the air intake temperturs you are getting are when you say air intake so they are measured at the MAF sensor as they measures the flow and temp but surely the charge temp is measured aslso somewhere as the ecu backs off the boose if the charge temp is to high????

·
Registered
84 Posts
thats right! But i'm affraid it can't be readout by OBD...

Maybe the Control of boost back off by high inlet temps works by measuring Oil or combustion chamber temps and there is no sensor for charge air temperature?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.