Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need 4 new tyres and and have read good things about both the Falken 452's and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. So I'd thought I'd ask if the Goodyears are worth the extra £216 it will cost over the Falkens (£233 for 452's vs £450 for Goodyears from Camskill) for a set of 4.

The car isn't driven too hard and is mainly used around town.

Any input to help me make my mind up will be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i will vouch for the falkens aswell ... wanted the good year but was put off by the price ... quite a lot on here run falken 452s ..

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I went for the goodyears.... They won the last tyre test EVO did, especially on wet handling and braking, which swayed it for me.. In my opinion, no point having all that power, maps etc unless the tyres will transmit as much of it to the ground as possible. Also, at some point, some numpty WILL cause you to do an emergency stop, through no fault of your own. At that time , I want the best stopping tyres available on my car... Just my 2p

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
I had 4 x Falken 452's fitted to my car exactly a week ago.

No complaints so far, and Rambo and I had a bit of fun over the weekend too.....

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I ran a set of the Goodyears on my ST before fitting the Falkens.

So far the Falkens have lasted over 10,000 miles whereas the rear Goodyears were shot at 8-9K (caught me out to be honest) and the fronts didn't have enough on them to justify getting a new pair of rears to match. Plus local places were quoting £135 each

Having run the Falkens for a year now I cannot fault them and can honestly say i've not noticed any difference in grip levels between the 2 brands.

And for the price off Camskill plus local fitting I was out of pocket by £300 which is pretty damned good really

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have just bought a set of eagle f1 asymmetrics and they are the worst tyre i have ever owned. I have had to put my original alloys back on purely because they have much better tyres on (prada spec2's). The eagles cause the car to hop around when accelerating, shaking the dash and generally no fun at all. They seemed to loose grip suddenly and lift off oversteer was snappy and unexpected.......the pradas are a much better tyre and have just done a track day with no problems at all.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 25 Jan 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have just bought a set of eagle f1 asymmetrics and they are the worst tyre i have ever owned. I have had to put my original alloys back on purely because they have much better tyres on (prada spec2's). The eagles cause the car to hop around when accelerating, shaking the dash and generally no fun at all. They seemed to loose grip suddenly and lift off oversteer was snappy and unexpected.......the pradas are a much better tyre and have just done a track day with no problems at all.

Paul,

there is something very wrong with either those tyres, your alloys or the way they have been fitted then. The Eagles are good tyres, I have none of the problems you are experiencing.... I would go back to where you hadthem fitted and get them checked over...

Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
QUOTE(mbaker @ 25 Jan 2010, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Paul,

there is something very wrong with either those tyres, your alloys or the way they have been fitted then. The Eagles are good tyres, I have none of the problems you are experiencing.... I would go back to where you hadthem fitted and get them checked over...

Mark

Honestly they are awful, they have no grip at all.....its like they are solid and have no give. I thought it might be due to my performance upgrades and the extra power but even round corners they have little grip and will suddenly let go. They're brand new tryes though so how could they be faulty?

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 25 Jan 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Honestly they are awful, they have no grip at all.....its like they are solid and have no give. I thought it might be due to my performance upgrades and the extra power but even round corners they have little grip and will suddenly let go. They're brand new tryes though so how could they be faulty?

Hi All

Not been around long just had an 06 ST3 for a month but just had a new set of Eagle asymetrics fitted and they are awesome...no really they are. Grip like billyo in all this rain etc I ran Falken 452s on my previous 200bhp VRS and Audi, they too are very good tyres (probably better for the price) but I am in that honeymoon period and wanted the car at its best so splashed out.... have a wide rim protecter too so a plus... if being very critical they is a little more road roar than I anticipated but thats being critical. I think you'll be happy with either but the Goodyear edges it for me whether its worth the extra cost now theres a question for you to answer
You said you dont drive hard mainly round town so I'd go for Falken unless you are feeling flush, they'll be fine Im sure, either way have fun take care

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 25 Jan 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Honestly they are awful, they have no grip at all.....its like they are solid and have no give. I thought it might be due to my performance upgrades and the extra power but even round corners they have little grip and will suddenly let go. They're brand new tryes though so how could they be faulty?

Thats definitely not right Paul, the F1 Assy's are good tyres.. Best bet would be take them back and let the garage look at them, or better still find an ST owner near you running them and compare cars.... It might be a silly question but have you checked they are fitted properly? They should have a message on the outer sidewall saying somethign like "This side outwards" or similar? Thyres can be made badly in the factory, not long ago there was another guy on here with a set of Vredsteins he wasnt happy with and he got his money back.. Where did you have them fitted?

Edit - just another thought Paul, what pressure are you running them at? Should be 33psi all round..

·
Registered
195 Posts
QUOTE(mbaker @ 25 Jan 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats definitely not right Paul, the F1 Assy's are good tyres.. Best bet would be take them back and let the garage look at them, or better still find an ST owner near you running them and compare cars.... It might be a silly question but have you checked they are fitted properly? They should have a message on the outer sidewall saying somethign like "This side outwards" or similar? Thyres can be made badly in the factory, not long ago there was another guy on here with a set of Vredsteins he wasnt happy with and he got his money back.. Where did you have them fitted?

Edit - just another thought Paul, what pressure are you running them at? Should be 33psi all round..

well they aren't on my car lol. Ive recently had a quaife diff fitted and with the eagles its never seemed to work, throwing you to the other side of the road as it suddenly lets go. The worst thing though was the amount of axel tramp they cause when booting it, im surprised ny driveshafts are still intact! With the pradas on though I noticed a massive difference and can use the diff much more, so much more grip and very progressive if they decide to let go. Im pretty sure that kwikfit fitted them properly but i'l have a look. Tyre pressures are correct, only thing I can think of is that they might be past their sell by date :s

Sorry guys but I really don't recommend eagles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

In the end I've ordered a set of 4 Falkens from Camskill - they seem a popular tyre on the ST and very good value for money. Also a friend of mine has them on his Leon Cupra and he has been pleased with their performance/price.

I'll post up what I think when I've had them fitted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm just about to buy a pair of Falcons for mine, was quite disappointed after 9500 miles of mostly careful driving that they were at 0mm on the outer edges.

Still having looked on here and the fact my mate has a set on his VXR, I shall give it a bash. Can't be any worse than the original Conti's that I've never had much faith in. £58 per tyre at Camskill - cashback!!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
The GSD3's have been superceded by the Assymetrics so can be hard to find now, and then difficult to replace just 1 if you get a bad puncture or something like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had the 452's fitted yesterday and went for a brief run along the motorway to check for any balancing issues etc then round some twisty bits. Even though they had only covered 20 miles from new and it was damp I must admit to being impressed with the grip etc. So far so good and they should only get better!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I have had a set o Falkens on mine now for a few weeks and for the money £67 each I can not fault them

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
I've just ordered FK452's from Camskill too. Missed out on the £58 a trye offer, but still £66 a corner isn't to be sniffed at. That's about £20 less than anyone else ! They're being fitted next Monday when the car has a service.

Goodyear F1 GS-D3's are awesome. Ran my old supercharged ST170 on them for over 3 years. Currently @ £95 a tyre from Camskill.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts