Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway of removing this section of the front door card? Just wanted to check before I try to pull them out as I'm getting them re trimmed in leather.

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,188 Posts
Is there anyway of removing this section of the front door card? Just wanted to check before I try to pull them out as I'm getting them re trimmed in leather.
A really old thread, but did you get the answer and get the job done?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Removing the fabric part is easy, as long as you're happy to cut/drill out the melted plastic sections that hold it in place. It's a piece of shaped hardboard that is held in on the perimeter.

I've been fiddling around for the last couple of years with some spare door cards, trying to cover them in leather-look vinyl. Not bad so far, but much harder and more time-consuming than it looks due to the compound curves around the speaker area. Note the original plastic parts have been put back to see how the colour scheme looks, but they will also be recovered in black suede. It's actually a light grey colour, not yellowy yuck as in the picture!

Attachments

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,188 Posts
Removing the fabric part is easy, as long as you're happy to cut/drill out the melted plastic sections that hold it in place. It's a piece of shaped hardboard that is held in on the perimeter.

I've been fiddling around for the last couple of years with some spare door cards, trying to cover them in leather-look vinyl. Not bad so far, but much harder and more time-consuming than it looks. Note the original plastic parts have been put back to see how the colour scheme looks, but they will also be recovered in black suede.
I have done mine much as you said, hence asking if he's done it too.

20140725_144251_zpstnmdpgzg.jpg

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,188 Posts

I've been fiddling around for the last couple of years with some spare door cards, trying to cover them in leather-look vinyl. Not bad so far, but much harder and more time-consuming than it looks due to the compound curves around the speaker area. Note the original plastic parts have been put back to see how the colour scheme looks, but they will also be recovered in black suede. It's actually a light grey colour, not yellowy yuck as in the picture!
You have to use special high temp glue though, carpet glue melts in summer...as I found out :(

·
Registered
413 Posts
You have to use special high temp glue though, carpet glue melts in summer...as I found out :(
Indeed, and it's a pain in the a*** to use. I have two types, one applies with a brush but needs to be thinned with MEK and the other is an aerosol can which doesn't grip as hard (fine for door cards but would be useless for a headlining).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts