Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get a couple of these and none of my local dealers is able to obtain one.
Most online dealers (including Camskill unfortunately) are showing out of stock and Goodyear don't seem to be giving a date for re-stocking.
Any ideas on why there is such a problem?
As I need the tyres now, I've had to adopt plan "B" and bought a couple of VUS.
Although I normally put new tyres on the rear, any advice on whether they would perform better on the front or rear when paired with the F1's?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
At one point I had PS2 at the back and F1s at the front and this combo was upsetting ESP. I wouldn't pair F1s with anything.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the ESP throw a wobbly when I had new F1s on the back and old ones on the front.
It takes a long time for it to get used to four tyres (or at least two pairs of tyres) at different states of wear.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My local tyre place said they wouldnt be getting any from goodyear until April they dont know why.

Have you tried an online company called c tyres? www.ctyres.co.uk I think they have some stock...

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that.
I may have spotted them in my search but I was starting to get a bit paranoid that the less scrupulous would just take an order (and payment) knowing that that they couldn't actually fulfill it in any reasonable timescale.
Nevertheless I have given them a go so I might end up with a surplus pair of sessantas

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Just gone for Toyo T1R's and first impressions are that the initial grip is far better than the F1's i had previously. Although a softer compound so less miles but thats not an issue for me really. They are suppossed to have a very good wet rating too. Time will tell.

I know theres alot of debate regarding new tyres to the rear but as the fronts are the ones steering and giving the power I personally fit the news to the front. As i said thats my opinion and others may do as they seem fit !!!!! The rear letting go is prefered to lack of grip to the front for me.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read another write up on this while I was tyre hunting (also on the pro rear side).
Theory was that even with worn tyres on the front, in the event of loss of adhesion, the driver still retains some control over the car's direction because you're connected to the steering wheel and can physically control the direction in which they are pointed.
You have very little control over what happens at the rear end once it's broken away so it's better to have the better performing tyres there.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I've been looking for 2 myself and Blackcircles don't even have them listed anymore and they were always the cheapest up here, even the mega expensive Kwik Fit don't have them listed, so looks as if I'm going to have to get a different brand too. I down right refuse to go back to Conti 2's though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bought a set of 4 Goodyear F1 Asy from Blackcircles on 2nd march (see below), but as you note they don't have the size for the ST (Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 225/40 R18 Y (92), Reinforced) listed anymore

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 235/35 R19 Y (91) £172.45 (each) qty
4 Total price (fitted)
£689.80

·
Registered
270 Posts
ETyres have them on their website, price includes fitting. I bought from them lat year, seemed quite good.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I have had similar problems getting a set for our lasses, I was trying to get some prada 2's but little availablity, it may be somthing to do with supply from Japan or whichever far eastern country makes them)

I decided not to go for the pradas we found as I do not like getting tyreswith limited stock as this is sometimes a sign they have stopped making them so if you get a puncture I would have to get a new set as I do not run odd tyres.

I have gone for some Dunlop Sport Max TT's, getting them fitted tomorrow

·
Registered
592 Posts
I just ordered one from mytyres.co.uk, took about 4days to come, £120 per tyre.... It came direct from Germany, the tyre place down here said GY are making more of the eagles, nothing on the uk GY website bout them being withdrawn.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought a set of 4 Goodyear F1 Asy from Blackcircles on 2nd march (see below), but as you note they don't have the size for the ST (Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 225/40 R18 Y (92), Reinforced) listed anymore

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 235/35 R19 Y (91) £172.45 (each) qty
4 Total price (fitted)
£689.80
thats crazy man i got 235/35R19 Gdy eagles F1 porche fitment aswell so the profile looks a bit lower for £121 each,but then again i work for a tyre company and i do pay all the other little extra costs like vat and mark up prices

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just gone for Toyo T1R's and first impressions are that the initial grip is far better than the F1's i had previously. Although a softer compound so less miles but thats not an issue for me really. They are suppossed to have a very good wet rating too. Time will tell.

I know theres alot of debate regarding new tyres to the rear but as the fronts are the ones steering and giving the power I personally fit the news to the front. As i said thats my opinion and others may do as they seem fit !!!!! The rear letting go is prefered to lack of grip to the front for me.
i got a set of these and they just gave me such greef,they went out of shape and were not able to balance up properly or anything,sent them back under complaint and they were faulty so i wont be going down the toyo t1r route again....i got my money back though lol

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update....
Ordered 2 GYF1EA from Ctyres who were showing them in stock but have just received an email from them saying that they are actually out of stock (+ can't give a supply date)

Looks like it will be plan B after all.
Their website is still showing in stock so if anyone is looking for the Asymmetrics - don't believe it.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Well the sport Maxx TT 's went on on monday and all is well, they are also well balanced (as you should expect) the most weight we had to put on was 25g's on one rim the others were either 5g or 10g

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've now replaced the front Asymmetrics with the Vreds.
I'll give some feedback once they've scrubbed in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts