Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,773 Posts
Theres a few videos on YouTube, you need a flat blade screwdriver, to push into three slots at the back, then lever the springs whilst pulling on the airbag, then disconnect the wires and unbolt the wheel, youd be better watching the videos, plus use a small mirror, it makes it easier.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
On the facelift theres just two slots on the back of the wheel, as Kev said you need to flick the clips off them whilst gently easing the airbag assembly toward you... they can be fiddly to do, a small flat tip screwdriver or a pick are useful here as is some patience lol

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive exterior

Once released there are connections to remove, two spade terminals which are different sizes so no need for marking them for reconnecting, then there are two yellow and orange connectors, flick the orange part out and the yellow part should slide out and theres also a black terminal block for the controls on the wheel.
Its then a 24 mil socket, extension and ratchet to get the retaining bolt out. Just make sure none of the wires snag up on anything as you draw the wheel out and make sure the clock spring stays in place.

Refitting is just a reversal with no need to fiddle with the airbag clips, the airbag should just push in and you will hear the clips click into place.

Make sure the battery is disconnected whilst removing the airbag!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Just had another thought regarding this... it occurred to me that Id got some other pics on my phone somewhere!

This is how the clips of the airbag sit over the steering wheels lugs, so using the groove thats machined into the wheel you lever the clip inwards (toward the middle of the wheel).
Helmet Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Gas

Hopefully that makes sense, and heres a pic of the yellow and orange connectors I said about,
Circuit component Automotive tire Audio equipment Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

Also I removed the steering column plastics to give better access to the airbag release clips, a single torx screw on the underside iirc and it separates from the top part by clips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,773 Posts
Theres a video on YouTube at the moment, of a guy fitting a mk3 facelift steering wheel onto a mk2, if you watch that, youll get the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts