Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Ouch

Can't say I can ever remember this happening on an ST of any spec, I can vaguely remember something but maybe this was ST170 related and not on the ST.

Are we sure the part is identical to that used on the ST? i.e. part numbers identical which you can't always tell just from looking. I think some of Ford's blurb said the inlet manifold was different on the RS?

·
Registered
293 Posts
yes pretty sure that is the same as on out st,s when they say the indction side to the engine is diffrent on the rs i think its the air intake and filter which is refered to (i.e before the turbo) maby this is becuse the rs is running more boost? but still i wouldnt of thought wud have been enough for that to happen maby they were modded running even more boost
either way ouch

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Have never seen this on an ST but have seen similar on a few cars, a back fire causes the manifold to split.

Have also seen a few modded motors running NOS blowing the manifolds apart.

Makes a funny mess.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
We are obviously looking at this on the RS site. Seems strange that of the two? reported cars they are both in Germany and both on the same forum.

Leads me to believe that some common denominator will surface, and it's unlikely to effect the ST.

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE(marco170 @ 25 Dec 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Found these pics on a german forum. For some reason on 2 RS's the inletchamber exploded, damaged the bonnet and launched a bonnet-vent.
Very strange as the inlet is also found on the ST and I have never heard of this happening even with highly modded ones.

http://www.ford-forum.de/showthread.php?t=56698

This seems to be a problem for Ford i think

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(firefox 1701 @ 18 Feb 2010, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This seems to be a problem for Ford i think

no way! ford never have any problems with their cars! none they will admit to anyway!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I will check my inlet manifold tomorrow and see if it a 1 piece plastic injection moulded part

The manufacturer off the part my have used the wrong grade off plastic to make them

And find out who made and what it is made out off

I used to be a plastic mould injection setter/tech

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Looking at the photos Clint it appears to be in 2 halves plastic welded together, the busted one seems to have split apart along it's joined seam, also broken open by the throttle body but this might have been a stronger join in that area so the plastic broke rather than the joint itself, after the rest of it had started to open up. I'd imagine it would happen pretty quick once the intiial failure happened due to the inlet pressures involved.

You might be able to see a supplier code and material info on the photos of the split open one?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Every part should be stamped for the automotive industry for traceability

The firm i used to work for made parts for GM/BMW/Ford etc mostly parts for the ecu and electronic/electrical connectors

and yes we did have the old recall on some and it costs millions to sort it

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Well if Ford come up with a fix involving jubilee clips round the manifold to hold it together they owe me royalties!

·
Vendor
2,676 Posts
Although the ST and RS parts are interchangeable they have a different part number and when you look at them side by side there are some very small differences.

Looks like a quality issue when the two halfs are bonded together

1 - 15 of 15 Posts