Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Had my Red ST-3 for about 9 months now. It is box standard apart from some new Rally flaps just purchased from Torquesteer. These will be fitted as soon as the weather changes!!!
I am looking at exhausts and would love to get a new system fitted. Would be happy with just the cat-back unless someone suggests otherwise.
So , to the questions,

1. Which exhaust?
2. Full system , cat-back , sports cat. Not too fussed about power gain , just like a nice sound.
3. Best price and who can fit in the east midlands?
4. If there is a power gain , does the insurance have to know?
Thanks
Steve.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(stevelee @ 10 Jan 2010, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,
Had my Red ST-3 for about 9 months now. It is box standard apart from some new Rally flaps just purchased from Torquesteer. These will be fitted as soon as the weather changes!!!
I am looking at exhausts and would love to get a new system fitted. Would be happy with just the cat-back unless someone suggests otherwise.
So , to the questions,

1. Which exhaust?
2. Full system , cat-back , sports cat. Not too fussed about power gain , just like a nice sound.
3. Best price and who can fit in the east midlands?
4. If there is a power gain , does the insurance have to know?
Thanks
Steve.

Hi mate,

Insurance have to know about EVERYTHING

I went for Mongoose the cat back is about £270 plus fitting. Sports Cat is about £350 and downpipe about £150.

Cat back will give you minimal gains but will sound nice - Insurance have to know though

Sports cat and downpipe should really be fitted at the same time. This is where you will gain your power. About 10-15bhp and theturbo will spool up faster.

I ran around with just a cat back for 7 months and I loved it. Gives a nice sound and some pops and bangs. Sports cat and downpipe increase the sound slightly and give more pops and bangs.

If you're not bothered about power increases I'd just get the cat back mate. Looks and sounds great

Fitting wise I'm not sure. Are you far from Pumabuild? If not you can just buy the systems online. The new Dreamscience one look really good
and any mechanic can fit it for you. They just need to cut the original exhaust off. Don't worry, it can be put back on if you get rid of the aftermarket system, you just need a sleeve.

Chris

·
Registered
61 Posts
I second the Mongoose Cat Back.. they sound amazing when the engine is warm!

Mine pops and bangs like hell its great

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
I have the Ferrita Swedish made system in stock in the UK.

You can check it here: http://kalmar-union.com/parts/ford-focus-exhausts/

Neither of these two parts of the complete Ferrita system will make for a noisy car either inside or outside.

Generally with these systems they will contribute some increase in outputs, particularly with rewritten software....may 5/6bhp from a good d'pipe and 3/4bhp from the cat back. But, the presence of a good downpipe in itself will help greatly in reducing temperatures and back pressure and add to the life expectancy of the engine, whilst assisting in the software reaching and maintaining its set output targets.

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Simo @ 10 Jan 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi mate,

Insurance have to know about EVERYTHING

I went for Mongoose the cat back is about £270 plus fitting. Sports Cat is about £350 and downpipe about £150.

Cat back will give you minimal gains but will sound nice - Insurance have to know though

Sports cat and downpipe should really be fitted at the same time. This is where you will gain your power. About 10-15bhp and theturbo will spool up faster.

I ran around with just a cat back for 7 months and I loved it. Gives a nice sound and some pops and bangs. Sports cat and downpipe increase the sound slightly and give more pops and bangs.

If you're not bothered about power increases I'd just get the cat back mate. Looks and sounds great

Fitting wise I'm not sure. Are you far from Pumabuild? If not you can just buy the systems online. The new Dreamscience one look really good
and any mechanic can fit it for you. They just need to cut the original exhaust off. Don't worry, it can be put back on if you get rid of the aftermarket system, you just need a sleeve.

Chris

What difference are we talking on the cost of insurance?

·
Registered
734 Posts
QUOTE(stevelee @ 10 Jan 2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What difference are we talking on the cost of insurance?
What for just the catback?
Not alot i reckon!

If you're going for the works, so downpipe, sports cat and catback then an increase of £100+ i reckon!

To give you an idea, i'm running with all those mods minus the catback at the moment and i had an increase of £75 on my policy when i fitted them. Just depends which insurnace company you're with! Hope this helps!

·
1,285 Posts
I have a 4" rolled in Milltek system from the cat-back. It sounds amazing, a very deep grumble in idle and under acclelration, it sounds stunning!!!

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
I have a Janspeed system they have a choice of three different center boxes ranging from loud but bearable to very loud.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(bully09 @ 10 Jan 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Who you insured with

With Brentacre now. I have a 300bhp limit on my car so I can do anything I want up to that limit. I just ring them up and add it to the list. No admin fees either

Greenlight are good as well but they charge you a £25 admin fee everytime which gets tiring

1 - 12 of 12 Posts