Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best product for cleaning stainless steel exhaust tail pipes not sure what to use for the best, i came across an old grannys website last night saying baby oil is good for removing grease and dirt from stainless.
any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Soapy water and fine grade wire wool (if we're talking carbon deposits).

And then polish with what scott sggests.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Autosol, look how mine came out....

I got it even cleaner than that after a few more applications and a bit of elbow grease!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
+1 for autosol my tips were BLACK small amount of elbow greese they clean & shiny i dont want bling shiny but with more effort i could if i wanted but thats for my bike exhaust only lol

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Blue-Job is awesome

Mine are really pitted, looks nasty, mine get black very easy.... why black? its not a diesel

How can i get rid of pitted metal

Best thing about Blue-Job is once done it stops any build up or staining

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mine were pretty bad so I had to go a bit drastic and use some brillo pads.
Looked like Gazza's in the end ^^ and finished off with brasso.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mate I used sandpaper!lol. Only fine grade though but got the
bits off!
Haha, I'll be honest too, I used like a 220 grit sandpaper in the end on the inside of the lip. I was debating scratching it off with a stanley knife

The inside of the pipe though, well..I aint even gonna try. That stuff is permanent.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
When i first cleaned mine i used scrunched up tin foil and autosol couldn,t believe the results.
Got that tip off here i think it was you mofisto if so thanks mate

Oh and a tin of elbow grease

·
Registered
732 Posts
I try autosol every now and again and I can't get it shiny for the life of me. I don't use an abrasive brush though, I feel this where I am going wrong lol

When i first cleaned mine i used scrunched up tin foil and autosol couldn,t believe the results.
Got that tip off here i think it was you mofisto if so thanks mate

Oh and a tin of elbow grease
Will try this next! Ta

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Be very careful with overuse of Autosol as it is extremely abrasive... I polished he laser etched MIlltek logo off my old ST exhaust...

Soapy water and fine wire wool for shifting the worst of hte crud and carbon, then currently autoglym metal polish to shine it up....

Also worht using a sealant on the metal once it is clean, My new milltek on the
will be getting a coat of GTechniq C5 alloy wheel sealant which does a great job on bare metal too.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Be very careful with overuse of Autosol as it is extremely abrasive... I polished he laser etched MIlltek logo off my old ST exhaust...

Soapy water and fine wire wool for shifting the worst of hte crud and carbon, then currently autoglym metal polish to shine it up....

will be getting a coat of GTechniq C5 alloy wheel sealant which does a great job on bare metal too.
You bet me to that Mark.
Autosol is very abrasive indeed. Ive used it for years on hard chrome on motorcycles, but on stainless it will tarnish the finish.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Is it worth using something like Jet Seal 109 on the exhaust tips after cleaning? Would it help to keep it clean?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts