Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the sound of he exhaust pops as I lift the throttle but what causes it exactly?? I've seen it said that it's from back pressure and some say it's to do with unburnt fuel igniting in the hot exhaust.

Now which is it exactly?? Please only if you are 100% sure!!

Also it seems to happen alot on the dreamscience mod. If it is intact unburnt fuel isn't it caused from a bad air/fuel mix and wouldn't that actually be a bad map?? Surely it will damage the exhaust or cat and also unburn fuel is fuel wasted that should have been used to make power?

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
QUOTE(edwardmcardle @ 13 Feb 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love the sound of he exhaust pops as I lift the throttle but what causes it exactly?? I've seen it said that it's from back pressure and some say it's to do with unburnt fuel igniting in the hot exhaust.

Also it seems to happen alot on the dreamscience mod. If it is intact unburnt fuel isn't it caused from a bad air/fuel mix and wouldn't that actually be a bad map?? Surely it will damage the exhaust or cat and also unburn fuel is fuel wasted that should have been used to make power?

No chance.

I'd guess at unburnt fuel and no damage except dirty tail pipes.

·
Registered
824 Posts
QUOTE(edwardmcardle @ 13 Feb 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love the sound of he exhaust pops as I lift the throttle but what causes it exactly?? I've seen it said that it's from back pressure and some say it's to do with unburnt fuel igniting in the hot exhaust.

I guess you might have to try Google

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
They do it standard so it can't be a faulty map , the maps just make more pops and bangs ... I ain't complaining lol

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
even a standard st will snap crackle & pop! when you feed it more air & fuel it does it even more!
the more curry you eat the more you fart!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Definitly worth the extra Pennys for the Pops and Bangs
...Doubt it is a bad mapping though as the pops and bangs increase with a turbo back system without a map. So i guess it has more to do with an increase in power.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Harmy2010 @ 13 Feb 2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Definitly worth the extra Pennys for the Pops and Bangs
...Doubt it is a bad mapping though as the pops and bangs increase with a turbo back system without a map. So i guess it has more to do with an increase in power.

+1 for back pressure so!!

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
I heard that on lift off, fuel is injected into one or more of the cylinders but not ignited to aid in "cooling" the head and cylinders, thus resulting in wee pops and bangs as it enters the hot turbo and exhaust system?

Not sure on how accurate that is though

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
I do know 100% that I haven't a clue why the ST runs rich standard or remapped but as long as it isn't chucking flames out the back I would assume it's ok. a pain in the **** to keep the tailpipes clean though and opt for the carbon look

·
Registered
773 Posts
It is unburned fuel and it isn't the map - ours pops and bangs a treat and she isn't remapped at all. I agree the few pence of fuel is worth it (as it the investment in autosol to get those tail pipes all shiny again!!!).

·
Registered
150 Posts
mine's standard apart from k&n and ecu spacer and it done a lovely one today shiffting into 3rd! cant wait until spring so its warm enough to have the windows open. lol. does that sound a bit sad.....................

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
QUOTE(pepsisteve @ 14 Feb 2010, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>mine's standard apart from k&n and ecu spacer and it done a lovely one today shiffting into 3rd! cant wait until spring so its warm enough to have the windows open. lol. does that sound a bit sad.....................

No. once i had the heaters on full blast and the windows open in 0 degrees going through some tunnels

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, it won't do the car any harm.

Watch this clip, it sounds like someone's shooting at the car
sounds
awesome.
If only mine would pop and bang like that

1 - 20 of 31 Posts