Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hi guys, got this sent to me today by a colleague, http://www.suffolk.police.uk/News+And+Appe...sy+Exhausts.htm
Can any off the police types on here confirm that I can be prosecuted/fined if my exhaust is over 82db?
I thought the limit was 100db, the article is somewhat confusing.

Just hope the police in Birmingham and Manchester don't start doing this, as they would find 1 out of every 4 cars up here has a modified exhaust

And yes my colleague has seen and heard my car!

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
To be fair there are a lot of cars on the road with silly loud exhausts, i agree with this crackdown providing the limit is reasonable tbh 83db is very loud

·
Registered
293 Posts
ahhhh that translates to "bonus time soon must make more money and its easyer then chasing real criminals"

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Im pretty sure that the ST doesnt get to 100db as the report says, at least mine doesnt with a Milltek. The last trackday i went on the guy doing the testing noted how quiet it was, i think it was somewhere in the 80s region if memory serves correct.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
on the list of criminal activities, like burglary,drug dealing, car theft, car cloning, murder, rape etc etc, a loud exhaust must be top of the list in suffolk! must be short of cash for doughnuts! the law is the law i suppose but for god sake, start at the top of the list and work your way down. don't start at the bottom of the list & never work your way up! some health & safety do good
is prob getting annoyed by a max power saxo somewhere in suffolk & this is the result!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I can't get the link to work but...

Again they will go for the guys who will pay fines straight away and make the stats look good...the honnest motorist.

Out of interest where is the law regarding the loudness of a cars exhaust (not just what the plod sayas they probably don't know the law but just been told what to do which is probably wrong, I have seen/experienced this before anyone has a go), I recall a while back the only noise limits were on cars leaving the factory.

The only thing they could do you for is causing a nuisance, but I am probably too old and someone has thought of this as a nice way to make a few £'s that can go to those people who have been effected, o.k. old biddies that have been mugged by some scrote who can't afford/won't pay or even go to prison

Oh why don't we also put up the fixed penalties

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
well i do sort off under stand because off my old Subaru was extremely loud and had a few complaints from neighbors but we are in 2010 now and soon the law will say i cant play my music in my car
which I'm sure is over 100db ,it feels like i wont be aloud to put wheels on my car soon because off what some
says from the Safer Neighbourhood Teams
as for the post above about spending more time on other things like rape,theft,burglary's,etc etc i also think the same and i think the money should be spent on the roads ,safer roads.pot holes ,etc etc
i think I'm gonna move to America

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I got the link to work

Anyway it reads as if it is illegal to change and exhaust system, i.e. modify it, I doubt if that is the case.

Why not pull every car with a bulb out at least that is a safety issue

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Around my area the police quite often pull people over that have bulbs out and I totally agree with it as sometimes it makes it hard to figure out what is coming towards you at night.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
its not the police on the street that are the problem imo
its the knobs telling them what to do that need a kick where the sun does'nt shine!
i'd love to hear the morning briefing " ok lads the burglars were out last night again, 10 cars were stole in the area. the message has come from the top bass, we must put an end to loud exhasts. this will please the community! & keep the coffers topped up!"
i think in general a lot of the crimes would be sorted out if the idiots in charge let the plod get on with the job instead of interferring

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hmm i wonder what they will make of my Full Piper 0cpi sports(
) CAT Exhaust
. I will make sure i stay away from Suffolk.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm quite happy for them to crack down on exhaust noise if they pick their victims carefully. Someone in a hot hatch with a tastefully modded exhaust can be left alone. Any chav in PoS saxo with dual quad tailpipes can be pulled, fined and have their car scrapped. I'd be more than happy if they sat on the side of the road pulling pople with lights out, driving with their faglights on ... stuff like that, you never know what else they are going to turn up in some underclass's car (;

1 - 20 of 40 Posts