Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if someone has the time to do a quick HowTo on fitting an aftermarket cat back. I've been looking at the DS new exhaust and would have to fit it myself. Jared has said that its quite a simple job, I've fitted all my mods upto now so I'm not completely useless!

He did mention that the standard backbox is welded and would need to be cut. Does anyone have pictures as to where this would happen?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I dont have any pics but you can imagine that where the pipe goes over teh rear axle, it bends upwards to make room for the axle to move up and down without knocking into it all the time. Basically you want to cut through the exhaust as near the top of this curve as you can.... Most people use an electric reciprocating type saw to do this as I would imagine it would be damn hard work with a hacksaw... If you pop under the back of your car you will see what I mean and its pretty self explanatory really.. Only thing is you might need a mate to help support the parts both when you cut the old one off and try to line up the new one...

Mark

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Helps to try and make the cut on a straight section rather than a bend so you can rejoin it with a sleeve kit if you refit it in the future.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how does the new DS exhaust attach? Do I cut the new one to size as per the cut on the old one? & then use a sleeve?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(davechci @ 11 Dec 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So how does the new DS exhaust attach? Do I cut the new one to size as per the cut on the old one? & then use a sleeve?
The new DS exhaust will assemble in sections and bolt onto your current cat. The design of the sections will allow you to assemble it over the rear suspension frame then join to the other sections.

It's only the original Ford exhaust that is a one-piece assembly which is fitted over the rear suspension frame before the drivetrain is lifted as a complete section onto the body of the car during assembly in the factory. It can't be removed without either cutting it (same as Ford direct to) or disassembling the whole rear suspension of the car. You only need the sleeve kit if you wanted to re-fit your original Ford system at a later date.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, the penny drops! I completely understand now, sounds easy enough and your comment about cutting on a straight piece makes perfect sense. I think I'm going to get one now. Many thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts