Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was hoping for a bit of advice as I am only going off YouTube and its causing more questions than answers.

Im looking for an exhaust for my MK3.5 ST250. I am wanting it to give me a better tone than the factory exhaust I have on at the moment but I dont want it to get me an asbo or take me off of next doors Christmas card list.

A bit of noise for theatre and for it to sound better but I dont want a lot of drone on the motorway etc.

I was thinking about the Mongoose system but I was also offered the Milltek full cat back on Friday.

I guess my hesitancy is that I wont get to try these out before I buy obviously. Has anyone got some assistance that they could put my way? It would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Why not explore whether the stock system can be modded for some extra noise in a cost effective way? Diesels sound like a bag of spanners so you don't want too much extra noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't bother at all, I've got a 17 plate ST3 tdci , bluefin, rs airbox and k&n panel filter with pumaspeed hose, the last mod I did was have a dpf back mongooose with twin 5" tail pipes oh and I replaced the torque mount at same time, the torque mount makes you feel loads of vibration in the front seats but does make gear changes feel much more direct, the exhaust gas done nothing, absolutely nothing, there maybe 0.5db increase, but certainly not worth doing, don't waste your money,just a remap is all you need for these, anything else is just cosmetic

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't bother at all, I've got a 17 plate ST3 tdci , bluefin, rs airbox and k&n panel filter with pumaspeed hose, the last mod I did was have a dpf back mongooose with twin 5" tail pipes oh and I replaced the torque mount at same time, the torque mount makes you feel loads of vibration in the front seats but does make gear changes feel much more direct, the exhaust gas done nothing, absolutely nothing, there maybe 0.5db increase, but certainly not worth doing, don't waste your money,just a remap is all you need for these, anything else is just cosmetic
I've been going back and forth over whether to bother with the exhaust or not, glad you have posted and have first hand experience...

I have remapped, have RS lid and K&N filter, the RS lid was the biggest change is tone... actually sound pretty good for a TDi!

Did the PS intake hose change much? @Banksy

·
Registered
13 Posts
The intake hose simply looks better and that's it, the remap obviously made it quicker but in all honesty i wouldn't do it again, the Mrs had an accident in ours the other day and I've just taken all the parts off to return it to standard before the insurance company get it and drives so much better standard, much smoother, I've noticed then everytime I've done this with a car when I've taken it back to standard, ok they get lots more pull when mapped, but the factory feel in my opinion is much nicer, when I change this next year for a cupra dsg or BMW 335d it will be staying stock regardless of how much extra bhp a remap gives

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Tbf Ive a Milltek cat back on my diesel, I prefer the look of it and Id say its changed the tone slightly... is it worth around £500 probably not tbh. But I like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In all fairness it does change the tone ever so slightly, it's a tad deeper and louder especially on tick over but not worth the money

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Just got myself an ST2 mk3.5 and was pondering over the remap and exhaust.
Is the bluefin map the best way to go? How can they tell how much bhp and torque youre producing without a rolling road?
Im quite happy the exhaust note doesnt change too much as I dont want it too loud!
And other decent mods anyone recommends that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,079 Posts
Superchips went into liquidation last year and someone bailed them out but it now looks a totally different set up so I wouldn't have thought there is much info on here about the current Bluefin maps Wayne.

It also looks like it has to be loaded by them which is a negative imo as Bluefin was always put on by the customer via the handheld device and could be put back to std at any point.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Is the bluefin map the best way to go? How can they tell how much bhp and torque youre producing without a rolling road?
Im quite happy the exhaust note doesnt change too much as I dont want it too loud!
Tbf youll not really get much difference on exhaust tone from just a stage 1 map and a cat back, youll get a louder exhaust if you go down the dpf delete route etc.
As for the figures tuning companies give you, its just from their research and testing of the map. So if you wanted to know exactly once its tuned youd have to get your car on a rolling road. Unless you get a custom map.
As Jason has just covered, not sure if to recommend bluefin these days however before it went into liquidation plenty seemed to have their maps.
If it was me Id stick to something like Collins/Pumaspeed/Mountune.

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,509 Posts
DTUK tuning boxes have a really good reputation, being one of the first available, plus you can just take it off to go back to standard ,quick check says 230ps and 495nm for your engine.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
i know and fully expect far more comments on the best re map to go for to be posted soon.
i have gone for the superchips stage 1. quoted 230bhp and 490nm torque. this was done on my drive and ive had no issues so far. it pulls well and can be very entertaining for a diesel. they appear to have a sale on at the moment with £100 off if that helps.
as for exhaust im not after much more noise but something that looks better wouldnt hurt. im booking in with Tony Banks exhausts in leeds for a back box delete and twin Acrapovic carbon tail pipes. pricing wise hes spot on. ill be posting pics of the rear when done

1 - 12 of 12 Posts