Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Now I know that there are many threads on this topic, but this one is a little bit different. I recently had a CAIS fitted, and after I'd driven the car for approx. 10 miles "ESP SYSTEM FAULT" came up on the dash. I know for sure that it was ok for those initial 10 miles, and the car is still pulling well, but there is now no traction control.

I've tried pulling the KAM fuse out for 20 minutes, and also have disconnected the battery for 1 hour, but with no effect. I've also taken the MAF sensor off and cleaned it with IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol), but before I started cleaning it I noticed that there was a small piece of plastic inside that looked as if it had melted. I took a few photo's to post up to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Here are the pics of mine as it came off:

150220102142__Large_.jpg 150220102145__Large_.jpg

Gary from Profile added a few images of an exploded view of the MAF Sensor in an earlier thread that clearly shows that there should be a small diode attached to the inside of the MAF (8. Auxiliary Temperature Sensor), but this is missing off mine. Could the diode have melted, or does this type of MAF Sensor not have a diode?

Here's Gary's exploded view: View attachment Focus_ST_MAF_Sensor_diagram.pdf

I've just ordered a new MAF sensor for my local Ford dealer. When I get it tomorrow I'll be able to see if the diode is there or not, but it would be nice to know before hand.

If anyone's had any experience of this, please let me know.

Thanks

Ian.

Attachments

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Difficult to say, Ian.

Whichever way you slice it though, that is one dead MAF.

Which is very odd, because the MAF is just SOOOO robust on the ST. I mean, it's ALMOST, but not quite, as robust as the alternator.

Hope the new MAF arrives quickly and you can easily spot the difference.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
If my spare MAF had landed today I could confirm easier but from memory there's no diode to be seen on the MAF. If it does have one it'd be encapsulated withing the assembly and not exposed to the intake airflow.

I have a sneaky feeling the bit you're seeing that looks melted is actually where the hot wire is fed through the plastic casing of the MAF and possibly plastic welded in position.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Don't panic. The MAF is fitted to more than one model car and the diode/resistor is not required on most if not all ST's . On my car it is not fitted and the car runs perfectly. It did worry me when I first saw it a few months back though.
The ESP fault is not down to that missing component on the MAF

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys
The garage I took it to had around 10 different MAF's in their stores, and all of them had the diode showing on them (that's why I thought mine was missing). Gary's diagram also shows a diode, but I'll find out for sure tomorrow morning when the local Ford dealer has the MAF delivered.

It'll only take me 5 mins to replace the MAF, then it'll be fingers crossed

Will let you all know how I get on tomorrow.

Ian.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
!!!

Well I received the new MAF Sensor this morning, and sure enough there is no diode visible. The small plastic notch that I noticed on the old MAF definitely looks damaged. Not sure how happen, but take a look at the new one compared to the old one (new one on the left, old one on the right). There is definitely a difference.

160220102148__Large_.jpg 150220102145__Large_.jpg

I fitted the new MAF Sensor anyway, but the fault is still there "ESP SYSTEM FAILURE". The car is now booked Friday at my local Ford dealer for a diagnostic check. They already think that it could be my ABS Module, and that it's going to be around £1400 to fix

Why don't Fords build cars to last anymore?

Ian.

P.s. The car will be up for sale very soon, hopefully before something else goes wrong with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
do what i done get the ABS module from e bay ,id not pay that sort of price if i could get out of it ,
i got mine for 60 pounds from member on here and have had no issues whatsoever and have a spare one that i got off e bay now just in case i do which i got for £120:00 so save yourself a bundle .
have to agree its disgusting and fords wont admit theres any issues with them as per alternaters !!!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I pulled the KAM fuse out for about 20 minutes or so, but no change. I've even disconnected the battery for about 5 hours this afternoon, but again, no change.

I've also returned the car back to stock, and reinstalled dsci, then race+ to see if that made any difference. Again, no difference at all. I'm at the end of my tether now. I'll wait until Friday to find out what Ford's say. I really hope it's not the ABS Module, although I will search eBay for a second hand one.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Ian.

·
Registered
59 Posts
also spoke to the lad who carried out the work and he said its a volvo module but they use an external airpressure switch along with the module but ford decided to have the module with a built in switch and the switch is failing and then its comming up with a fault so basically if ford had left it alone all we would be doing is replacing a switch and not a control board lol

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys, Fords got my car on the diagnostic machine today and confirmed that the ABS Hydraulic Module had gone
. Fords said that the part is £1090 + vat and the labour would be approx. £300 to replace the faulty unit

I've just ordered a second hand one for £125 + vat from a breaking 07 plate oe ST2 I know of. The breakers offer a 90 day warranty on all 2nd hand parts, so I hope this one is going to be ok.

A local garage will fit it for about £50, so all in all I should get it all sorted for about £200. Far less than the £1400 that Fords want. I know that I won't get the same kind of warranty that Fords offer on new parts, or the reassurance that I'll have a brand new part as opposed to one that could go at any time, but hey, for keeping hold of £1200 of my well earned cash, I'm willing to take the risk.

I'll try to post up some photos of the replacement unit and also when it's being fitted in the near future.

Question: Why is this part so
expensive... are Fords just having a laugh or what?

Ian.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
glad you got one ,to be fair theres quite a bit to the inside of these units .
i have some piccys of mine when it went as i striped it down to see whay item was so expensive ,will have a look and see if i still have them if so il post them up for you to view.
as you can see theres a few parts to it ,but just isnt right there goijng wrong so
quickly is it

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts