Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving along a caarigeway this morning about 60mph just as the car warmed up the 'ESP system fault' alert came up on the dash, not other lights, engine light or anything else. i stopped in a layby turned it off n back on again but nothing changed, anyone got any ideas on what it can be, or anything i can try??

thanks in advanced

·
Registered
389 Posts
Mine did the same and ended up being the result of a Boost air leak..

But it could be anything from a leak to a sensor and so on.. I'd get someone to plug in a diagnostic computer as that should tell you what the issue is..

Phil

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry i forgot to mention it was only boosting up to 0.3bar the most it went up to is just slightly over that, any common places to check for leaks?

·
Registered
389 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 23 Dec 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sorry i forgot to mention it was only boosting up to 0.3bar the most it went up to is just slightly over that, any common places to check for leaks?

Have you done any work lately that required removing any of the pipes??

I failed to fit the boost pipe back properly going from the intercooler to the throttle body which sealed for a while then decided not to and i could hear hissing from the engine bay.. The car wouldnt go over .5 bar..

Try rolling along at about 30mph in 6th with everything noisy off like fans and stereo and accellerate from there.. if you have a leak then you should hear it.. Detecting it now thats a different matter!

Phil

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only thing ive done recently is fit a k&n gen 2 which was over a week ago....

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have i GOT to take it to ford to get the codes read or can i get it done at any place that can read codes (my local places uses a big slab type thing with a screen on it, sorry i havent got a clue what its called lol)

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 23 Dec 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the only thing ive done recently is fit a k&n gen 2 which was over a week ago....

Bet you a Snickers bar that it's a leak between where the MAF meets the K&N GenII airbox, or that the MAF has been coated in K&N oil from the filter.

Check all the jubilee clips that you will have used to install the K&N GenII. Are they all tight, secure, and well seated?

Is the MAF making a good seal (i.e. sitting flush) with the back of the K&N GenII airbox? You may have to slacken some bolts a little and possibly slightly bend some of the brackets to make sure everything sits nice and snugly.

Was this a new K&N GenII, or a used one? New ones SOMETIMES come a little over-oiled from the factory, although this is less common these days. If it is a used one, the previous owner may have accidentally over-oiled the filter prior to selling it on - either way, the oil could now be coating your MAF sensor.

If you're fiddling around re-seating everything, it may be an idea to remove the MAF and give it a good clean in Iso-Propyl Alcohol; this can be bought from most electrical factors such as Maplins.

Good luck.

EDIT --> "ESP System Fault" is a very common error, and can mean a whole bunch of things. However, the "most" common and easily fixed is a boost leak, i.e. where your MAF sensor isn't sitting quite right, or a jubilee clip is loose.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers for your reply, VERY helpful, yeah i cleaned and oiled my inuduction kit before i fitted it because it is a used one, so it may be that, im trying to trace down some IPA now but cant find anywhere local to me with it, when i get it do i just spray it on and leave it or what? (never done it before) also will the fault go away itself or do i have to get it cleared?

thanks again

·
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 23 Dec 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheers for your reply, VERY helpful, yeah i cleaned and oiled my inuduction kit before i fitted it because it is a used one, so it may be that, im trying to trace down some IPA now but cant find anywhere local to me with it, when i get it do i just spray it on and leave it or what? (never done it before) also will the fault go away itself or do i have to get it cleared?

thanks again

The fault SHOULD clear by itself if it is something trivial (like boost leak or a fouled MAF), and you fix it.

If it DOESN'T go away, then you clearly need to get it to somewhere that has some decent diagnostic equipment, as it would appear that there is something else going on. You can try using a DS handset or a Scangauge II to read some error codes - however, these devices won't read ALL error codes; irritatingly some of the "MAF failure" and "ABS Error" messages (that might throw an "ESP System Fault") are some of the error codes these devices cannot read.

That said, a DS handset or a Scangauge II is a reasonable place to start if you can borrow one - if they don't pick up any error codes, at least you've got a place to start. I'd still want to get it to a Ford dealer and use their IDS system to interrogate the ECU properly and detect ANY error codes.

To clean the MAF, I would remove the whole assembly (i.e. the plastic cylinder that contains the MAF) and then spray the IPA onto the inside of the MAF, and over the sensor itself. Don't over-do it.

Leave the MAF to dry naturally somewhere warm, dry and clean.

When completely dry, reassemble the K&N GenII with your cleaned MAF and use the opportunity to check the security of ALL the pipework in and around your induction kit. Start where the plastic tubing meets the turbo hose at the back of the engine and work forwards - check everything is attached where it should be. Then check your MAF is seated correctly, and see where you are.

Don't quote me on this, but pulling the KAM fuse (fuse 26 in the engine bay fusebox) should clear the "ESP System Fault" manually. However, if you fix the problem by reassembling the induction kit, the error should go away by itself within 10-15 miles, and after restarting the car - be patient.

Best of luck.

Failing all else, give Gary at Profile Automotive, or Chris at Tarnock Garage a call. They are both forum sponsors and are always happy to help where they can over the phone.

EDIT --> If you think you HAVE over-oiled the K&N filter, don't forget to remove it, clean it and re-oil it (lightly this time) otherwise you'll simply foul your cleaned MAF again.

EDIT --> This is probably your closest Maplins --> http://www.maplin.co.uk/StoreLocator.aspx?...00.00,303600.00

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers mate you seem to know your stuff lol, ive found that halfords do it suprisingly so ill pop down there in a minute and grab some and give it a go, thanks for your help.

·
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 23 Dec 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheers mate you seem to know your stuff lol, ive found that halfords do it suprisingly so ill pop down there in a minute and grab some and give it a go, thanks for your help.

Don't really "know my stuff" - however, I have been down this particular avenue of pain myself. I had intermittent "ESP System Fault" all the time after fitting my K&N GenII.

Most of the time it was boost leaks as things moved around in the engine bay. Finally found a way of bolting everything down securely so that it didn't reoccur - but it was trial and error.

I also managed to kill two MAF's while I was at it.

That is also something you should be prepared for - your MAF may have died. They are made of Ovaltine on the ST.

If you need a replacement, it's about £100.

Go easy with the IPA, and take things steady with refitting the K&N GenII. If in doubt, give Gary/Chris a call as described above.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers pal, on the way back from getting the IPA the fault went :S lol but im giving it a clean now anyway just incase.

took the sensor out and as you described... there was oil in the mesh bit by the sensor lol so yeah i think i kind of went a tad overboard with the oiling process lol

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
if you do find a leak and fix it whipping the kam fuse out for 10 minutes should clear any faults on the dash {fuse no26}

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well as i said earlier the light went off on my wap back from geting some IPA spray, but decided to clean the maf sensor anyway, also noticed the maf sensor body wasn't sitting flush into the k&n box and there was hardly any seal on it, so i put a new seal stuff that i had at work (foam type stuff) and made it all back up again it now sits loads better so fingers crossed its ok, just wondering if the sensor is probably on its way out, but i suppose ony time will tell lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts