Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
HELP ANY ADVISE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED..
Happy new year from my car,,
going to work today and when overtaking the power suddenly dropped and I got alarm display ESP system failure, has anyone had this before? I have no turbo boost at all now but the car seems to be running fine., is it in safe mode? the local ford garage fitted a new alternator last week and this is the 1st time I've used the car apart from toddling about the town.. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE PLEASE
.. I'm praying its something the garage has done... thanks in advance

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
The ESP SYSTEM FAULT message can be various things, and most of them completely unrelated to the ESP system itself as the ECU shuts it down when a fault arises.

In your case, beacuse you have had work recently done on the car, I would check all hoses under the bonnet ensuring they have been refitted correctly and are air tight. Any leak would cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

There are a few other causes (have a search in this section) but it is where I would start to look.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 1 Jan 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The ESP SYSTEM FAULT message can be various things, and most of them completely unrelated to the ESP system itself as the ECU shuts it down when a fault arises.

In your case, beacuse you have had work recently done on the car, I would check all hoses under the bonnet ensuring they have been refitted correctly and are air tight. Any leak would cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

There are a few other causes (have a search in this section) but it is where I would start to look.

thanks for the qucik reply.. yes it seems a big coincidence that its happened since the alternator has been changed, they would have to taken out the airbox etc I assume,, I will phone them 1st thing next week, I did find other topics in the forum very similar so hopefully its human error.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts