Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of weeks back I was overtaking someone, got close to redline and the car "thudded", changed up a gear and off I went. Then ESP light came on, won't go off with the switch. EML came on. Car was driving OK, but noticed that the turbo boost was only going about 1/4. The car is stage 1 remap, so boost gauge will normally max.
You can feel the lack of boost as well.

I did a google for ESP and U2023 and a notice from Ford said it could point to a disconnected hose between turbo and intercooler. Managed to drop into a Halfords (I know....) and got a free repairs inspection. They said they couldn't see any hoses disconnected. A

Anyone experienced this issue?

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,226 Posts
Ages ago i was on WOT and the car had a giant hesitation. Just s if the ignition was switched off and on again. It continued to drive and boost OK.

Then it threw up an error code or eror message or error message - I can't remember the code now. Too long ago. I deleted and all was good. However, the code/message came back at shorter intervals until it came on as soon as I stearted the engine. All of this time it was driving normally.

Turned out to be the MAF.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,585 Posts
You may have just hit an overboost in which case you can just reset the MIL and check again.
The "thud" is not inconsistent with blowing a hose but you've ruled that out. You may of course have hit the rev limiter?
BTW, there is absolutely no benefit in hitting (or even going near) the red line if you want best performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ages ago i was on WOT and the car had a giant hesitation. Just s if the ignition was switched off and on again. It continued to drive and boost OK.

Then it threw up an error code or eror message or error message - I can't remember the code now. Too long ago. I deleted and all was good. However, the code/message came back at shorter intervals until it came on as soon as I stearted the engine. All of this time it was driving normally.

Turned out to be the MAF.
Yeah I've got the MAF error code P0101. I've ordered some cleaner to give that a go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may have just hit an overboost in which case you can just reset the MIL and check again.
The "thud" is not inconsistent with blowing a hose but you've ruled that out. You may of course have hit the rev limiter?
BTW, there is absolutely no benefit in hitting (or even going near) the red line if you want best performance.
Thanks, sorry to sound like a *** but what's the MIL? I think I had hit the limiter, purely by accident. Too busy watching the other driver as he seemed a bit all over the place

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I replaced the MAF and error codes have cleared, and boost going all the way up again. However, I've noticed a lag. It kind of sticks at the first mark on the boost guage, then goes up as I put my foot down. You can feel it though. Solenoid?

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Ok so I replaced the MAF and error codes have cleared, and boost going all the way up again. However, I've noticed a lag. It kind of sticks at the first mark on the boost guage, then goes up as I put my foot down. You can feel it though. Solenoid?
Thats is normal behaviour as long as you aren’t getting significant hesitation as it comes on boost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts