Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the modern oils we now have access to I was wondering how long everyone lets there cars warm up before giving it the beans?

I find in a remapped ST even at low revs you can get quite a lot of boost and the turbos working quite hard.. in peoples opinions should you treat the turbo warmup the same as the engine? Ie not letting it boost high until its warmed up (not an easy thing to do lol), or as long as the revs are low should it make no difference?

I also find that the shift light gets up to about 4/5k revs pretty quickly even though the oil gauge shows no reading..so how accurate an indicator is this of the engine being warm?

I am interested tis all, never had such a highly boosted turbo car and would like it to last a reasonable time...cause I do look to put my foot down now I have the cat-back lol

Discuss...

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(NickC @ 25 Feb 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With the modern oils we now have access to I was wondering how long everyone lets there cars warm up before giving it the beans?

I find in a remapped ST even at low revs you can get quite a lot of boost and the turbos working quite hard.. in peoples opinions should you treat the turbo warmup the same as the engine? Ie not letting it boost high until its warmed up (not an easy thing to do lol), or as long as the revs are low should it make no difference?

I also find that the shift light gets up to about 4/5k revs pretty quickly even though the oil gauge shows no reading..so how accurate an indicator is this of the engine being warm?

I am interested tis all, never had such a highly boosted turbo car and would like it to last a reasonable time...cause I do look to put my foot down now I have the cat-back lol

Discuss...

Climb in, start engine, boot it

The ST isnt highly boosted it has an incy little low pressure turbo.

If you drive with Mod C at least, it flashes the change light at about 3500 for the first little bit

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Personally I don't 'boot' it til both the engine and oil temp guages have moved to their normal postions. Just stick to under 3k rpm until they've moved.

Turbo or non-turbo I wouldn't push a car too hard until it's warmed up, can't do the engine any good

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
QUOTE(Mart170 @ 25 Feb 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Personally I don't 'boot' it til both the engine and oil temp guages have moved to their normal postions. Just stick to under 3k rpm until they've moved.
I'm the same, always wait for the oil to get up to temperature giving the car any beans

·
1,285 Posts
QUOTE(Mart170 @ 25 Feb 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Personally I don't 'boot' it til both the engine and oil temp guages have moved to their normal postions. Just stick to under 3k rpm until they've moved.

Turbo or non-turbo I wouldn't push a car too hard until it's warmed up, can't do the engine any good

Same here... I give the car the time to warm up the oils and get to the temp as normal before any proper use.

I am the same with cooling down... after long motorway runs etc, I always try and run the car for a couple of minutes in idle on the drive just to let things cool down. It may not make a difference, but it makes me feel better for doing it!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Si @ 25 Feb 2010, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Climb in, start engine, boot it

The ST isnt highly boosted it has an incy little low pressure turbo.

If you drive with Mod C at least, it flashes the change light at about 3500 for the first little bit

lol thats more what I wanted to hear

QUOTE(Ryan @ 25 Feb 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm the same, always wait for the oil to get up to temperature giving the car any beans

I have to admit I tend to wait for the oil temp gauge to start moving...by then the water temp is well up and I tend to sometimes get impatient and want some fun

I guess the main problem is mates wanting to hear the new exhaust when its been sat for a few hours

·
Registered
423 Posts
I always wait for both the turbo and engine temprature to get to normal level. Revving a cold engine hard will not make the engine last, so im guessing it's the same for the turbo(could be wrong though)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i let mine warm up to full running teps before driving let a loan giving it some but saying that it sits in the garage for weeks so i feel thats best ,also im running cr330 so dont really need no problems

·
Registered
423 Posts
QUOTE(TobyB @ 25 Feb 2010, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And let it run for a few mins after i stop to let it wind down.

Does it affect the turbo if you turn the engine off as soon as you pull up? Because i do and when i do it the turbo makes a high pitch whining noise and then gets lower within a matter of seconds. is that normal??

·
Registered
577 Posts

+1

QUOTE(kevin @ 25 Feb 2010, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i let mine warm up to full running teps before driving let a loan giving it some but saying that it sits in the garage for weeks so i feel thats best ,also im running cr330 so dont really need no problems

I'm not sure you need to let the car warm up on the driveway before actually driving it. In fact, I think its recommended to start the engine and set off straight away.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i'm sure yours are all the same but the way mine ticks and creaks as it warms up and cools down i wont be thrashing mine from cold, i never thrash anything from cold weather it be my bike car or works diesel van, its just not right.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I wait til the oil temp gauge is at the first white line before booting it, and leave it for a few seconds before turning the engine off as well.

Better to be safe for the sake of a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(wilson2010 @ 25 Feb 2010, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does it affect the turbo if you turn the engine off as soon as you pull up? Because i do and when i do it the turbo makes a high pitch whining noise and then gets lower within a matter of seconds. is that normal??

Thats the power steering pump

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(pepsisteve @ 25 Feb 2010, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i'm sure yours are all the same but the way mine ticks and creaks as it warms up and cools down i wont be thrashing mine from cold, i never thrash anything from cold weather it be my bike car or works diesel van, its just not right.

Why is it not right? It may have not been right 20 years ago, these days its a different story entirely.

I have owned and driven some far more exotic metal than the ST and the same treatment to them all of waiting just for the needle to lift slightly before going for it has never done any harm. the viscosity of modern multigrade and synthetic oils is such that the temperature of the oil plays little part in the protection it affords.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The worst thing you can do to any engine is to thrash it from cold, the oil wont have had time to get around the engine and it isnt as viscous until its warm! its not just revs either, its engine load so drive with a light throttle and keep the boost down until the oil temp is above the quarter on the gauge.

if you dont then expect repair bills

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I've read articles where tuners have stripped engines and found premature wear on crank shells etc caused by not warming the engine up properly. The oil temperature is a much more accurate way of gauging engine temperature than the coolant gauge.

Don't some cars like the RS4 limit engine performance electronically until temps have reached certain levels?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 25 Feb 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've read articles where tuners have stripped engines and found premature wear on crank shells etc caused by not warming the engine up properly. The oil temperature is a much more accurate way of gauging engine temperature than the coolant gauge.

Don't some cars like the RS4 limit engine performance electronically until temps have reached certain levels?

On the M3 the RPM gauge has lights which go out as the car warms up, to show you not what point to rev it past.
But you still can if you want, like a guy I saw the other day that got in his M3, and must have raged it to the red line from cold.
I cringed; I always wait for the oil temp to at least get off the end stop, before having a good play

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.