Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey all,

i had this problem on a 55 plate st3 with 74k on the clock (it was intermittent) - when you start the car you get the message "engine systems fault - acceleration reduced". i took it into a local main dealer (who i won't name for now). they stuck it on the diagnostic machine and charged me £80 + VAT to tell me that there was nothing wrong. so i took it away and it started happening again only now it's not intermittent it's every time i start it. i took it back to them and they had it for 5 days first telling me that it was the cam positioning sensor and the throttle pedal - they then tried both of those things along with checking the main computer board and then they decided it was a problem with the wiring, so they did some re-wiring - now the problem happens every time i start the car and also - when it was very cold last week it wouldn't start at all!!!

i'm at my wits end - can anyone shed any light on what this might be...???

thanks,
dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not sure, but it had a new alternator less than a year ago - i can't believe that they would have had it for 5 days and get to the point of doing re-wiring if they hadn't checked something as basic as the alternator or the battery...?!

...can you...?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
i can mate some main dealers are shockingly
to be honest!
could try and PM garry aka wolfman at profile automotive ,hes very good at this kind of thing and helpfull aswell so give it a go mate .
good luck hope you get it sorted soon .

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
i had a similar problem
the cai had come loose,
and was rubbing against the wiring loom to the battery
which caused the wires to be exposed and started arcking on the cai now and then

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
Mate - if I were you I'd stick the car up to Letterkenny to be looked at. The Dealers that I know of in Donegal are little short of useless (unless your car is a normal 1.6 petrol or a diesel).

They see ST's so infrequently that they get excited when they see one.

As other's have said. 55 plate car could also be a dead / dying battery?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the donegal in my name is a bit misleading...i actually live in manchester...!!!

i've taken it into the dealers this morning and they've checked the battery and told me that i need a new one...!!!...amazing that they didn't notice that in the first place!!!

...they of course want to charge me £180 incl labour and VAT...

getting mixed messages from battery places but looks like i can get one for about £50 from Performance Batteries...!!!

i'll change the battery and then see how we go with the error message...!!!...looks like i've been lucky though...i jumped it yesterday and got away with it...have read some horror stories on the forums

thanks all...will report back with findings...!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i got a new battery fitted and although i've not driven the car, due to the weather, i started it on tuesday and yesterday and both times it started without showing the error...

touch wood it might be fixed...!!!

by the way what is a cai?

thanks,
dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts