Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
When joining the motorway today, under full boost i had a bad misfire, exhaust popping and the dreaded red engine system fault and the car cut power. I pulled onto the hard shoulder, switched off, checked under the bonnet, all seemed ok, oil normal, water normal, nothing loose? Got into the car started it, no warnings, drove off everything seemed fine. About a mile later i gave it some beans again, just to check and i got more misfire/jerking and the esp system fault? Again stopped and checked the car, nothing to see. Started off again and the car was fine, no fault lights and no misfires?

I have had this for a few months but with no warning lights? Any idea's?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 7 Nov 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When joining the motorway today, under full boost i had a bad misfire, exhaust popping and the dreaded red engine system fault and the car cut power. I pulled onto the hard shoulder, switched off, checked under the bonnet, all seemed ok, oil normal, water normal, nothing loose? Got into the car started it, no warnings, drove off everything seemed fine. About a mile later i gave it some beans again, just to check and i got more misfire/jerking and the esp system fault? Again stopped and checked the car, nothing to see. Started off again and the car was fine, no fault lights and no misfires?

maff may be phil ?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You may find its either a coil or spark plug breaking down under load.
Even though the EML is not illuminated there is a good chance there will still be a fault code logged it the Engine control unit,
Off the top of my head P0300, is a random multiple missfire and P0301 to P0305 is a cylinder specific missfire.
Hope this helps.
Dave

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
oh, snap, i was hoping your misfire has gone away

These messages on the dash are next to useless, they basically mean "go back to the dealer asap". You need fault codes read asap and i hope it is an easy to get to sensor failure.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(largey @ 7 Nov 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>maff may be phil ?

I spoke to Gary and he's scratching his head, this is the first time its had a fault light, so hopefully it will be logged?
He sudgested water in the maff? but from where? i never use a jetwash.

QUOTE(goonturbo @ 7 Nov 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You may find its either a coil or spark plug breaking down under load.
Even though the EML is not illuminated there is a good chance there will still be a fault code logged it the Engine control unit,
Off the top of my head P0300, is a random multiple missfire and P0301 to P0305 is a cylinder specific missfire.
Hope this helps.
Dave
Cheers Dave, that is helpful info.

I got to get myself a scan gauge.

QUOTE(vladSTer @ 7 Nov 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>oh, snap, i was hoping your misfire has gone away

These messages on the dash are next to useless, they basically mean "go back to the dealer asap". You need fault codes read asap and i hope it is an easy to get to sensor failure.
Have you still got a gremlin Vlad? This is driving me nuts as it doesnt happen all the time?

Just been out this evening with the family, about 20 miles and the car is running perfect?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Phil, are your plugs running standard gap or been closed up a bit? that can sometimes hellp with full-boost misfires but then again I'm not sure if that sort of misfire would bring on all the faults like you're seeing.

Reading DTC's would be next step i'd suggest.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 7 Nov 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Phil, are your plugs running standard gap or been closed up a bit? that can sometimes hellp with full-boost misfires but then again I'm not sure if that sort of misfire would bring on all the faults like you're seeing.

Reading DTC's would be next step i'd suggest.

My plugs were changed at profile a couple of weeks ago, when the car was serviced. Got some rs plugs fitted. The car was showing no faults up at profile?

But hopefuly now something will have been logged?

·
Registered
162 Posts
sounds like a faulty MAF sensor to me, they make all kinds of faults on these cars they are terrible. i had to change mine about 2 months ago and that was giving me a misfire on high boost + engine system fault/ESP fault

hope this helps

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(ST Tommo @ 7 Nov 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sounds like a faulty MAF sensor to me, they make all kinds of faults on these cars they are terrible. i had to change mine about 2 months ago and that was giving me a misfire on high boost + engine system fault/ESP fault

hope this helps

Very helpfull mate, it only happens on max boost.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 8 Nov 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phil if youre down my way anytime soon i can read the fault codes off your car with my DS handset!

Cheers Andy, This is bugging me now, went out this morning, again misfire at full boost, but no system faults?
As usually, all fine on the way home?

·
Registered
973 Posts
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 7 Nov 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When joining the motorway today, under full boost i had a bad misfire, exhaust popping and the dreaded red engine system fault and the car cut power. I pulled onto the hard shoulder, switched off, checked under the bonnet, all seemed ok, oil normal, water normal, nothing loose? Got into the car started it, no warnings, drove off everything seemed fine. About a mile later i gave it some beans again, just to check and i got more misfire/jerking and the esp system fault? Again stopped and checked the car, nothing to see. Started off again and the car was fine, no fault lights and no misfires?

Sound exactly what happened to my car when the MAF failed phil.

I gave it beans on dual carriageway, car had a bad misfire, I then nearly face planted the steering wheel and had warning lights like xmas decorations on the dash. I took it straight up to Profile, stuck it on their scanguage fault reading thingy and it turned out to be knackered MAF.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Be aware that the Scangauge II product, whilst good (I have one), will not read every fault code throughout the car. Nor will the DS handset.

Some codes are not OBD codes and are therefore stored elsewhere in the system memory (i.e. not in the memory accessed via the Scangauge II or the DS handset).

When my MAF failed, the Scangauge II did not think there were any errors logged within the system, and nor did a DS handset I borrowed.

However, when I had the car connected to the proper Ford IDS, then it came up with "a knackered MAF" straight away.

All of the above notwithstanding, different failures can manifest themselves in different ways. The Scangauge II and the DS handset are useful at reading a variety of error codes (of which yours might be one). As such it is a useful and relatively inexpensive place to start.

All I am saying is that the absence of error codes with the Scangauge II OR the DS handset should not be relied upon. There may very well be other codes logged in your cars ECU to which these products do not have access.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 8 Nov 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Be aware that the Scangauge II product, whilst good (I have one), will not read every fault code throughout the car. Nor will the DS handset.

Some codes are not OBD codes and are therefore stored elsewhere in the system memory (i.e. not in the memory accessed via the Scangauge II or the DS handset).

When my MAF failed, the Scangauge II did not think there were any errors logged within the system, and nor did a DS handset I borrowed.

However, when I had the car connected to the proper Ford IDS, then it came up with "a knackered MAF" straight away.
All of the above notwithstanding, different failures can manifest themselves in different ways. The Scangauge II and the DS handset are useful at reading a variety of error codes (of which yours might be one). As such it is a useful and relatively inexpensive place to start.

All I am saying is that the absence of error codes with the Scangauge II OR the DS handset should not be relied upon. There may very well be other codes logged in your cars ECU to which these products do not have access.

I understand, i think?

Just kidding thanks dave.
iv'e tried everything and it wont do it again, got to watch it, as i now keep road testing everywhere.
and watching out for cameras.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Chaz @ 8 Nov 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sound exactly what happened to my car when the MAF failed phil.

I gave it beans on dual carriageway, car had a bad misfire, I then nearly face planted the steering wheel and had warning lights like xmas decorations on the dash. I took it straight up to Profile, stuck it on their scanguage fault reading thingy and it turned out to be knackered MAF.

I'm thinking the same Chaz, prob lucky its lasted four years?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.