Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new Ford st 3 owner (62 plate), I recently put it in for a mot and they replaced the rear offside calliper as the said it had seized, the next day I went away for the night and the next morning the car battery was completely drained, not even enough to open the doors. RAC came out and jump started me and ever since I get the message engine malfunction service now, it comes on after about 2 mins of driving, does it just mean it needs a service or is it more serious, any help would be greatful

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Hi I’m new Ford st 3 owner (62 plate), I recently put it in for a mot and they replaced the rear offside calliper as the said it had seized, the next day I went away for the night and the next morning the car battery was completely drained, not even enough to open the doors. RAC came out and jump started me and ever since I get the message engine malfunction service now, it comes on after about 2 mins of driving, does it just mean it needs a service or is it more serious, any help would be greatful
Id say charge the battery up, if it still continues you will need to grab a code scanner and read the DTC's

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,589 Posts
I've seen one or two things specific to diesels but that won't help in your case.
There's quite a few existing threads referring to this fault and the lack of a DTC seems to be a common theme.
It doesn't seem to tie in with any one specific issue unfortunately so in the circumstances, I'd be inclined to take it back to where the brake work was done as they may have inadvertently initiated this.
Is the engine still operating normally BTW?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it seems to be driving ok , was just a bit worried when the warning light came on. This wouldn’t be connected to it when I bought the car I didn’t know it came with ambient lighting, as they were never one , when the battery drained and was jump started the ambient lights were visible (headliner, floors, doors etc) but since the engine malfunction service now light is on the ambient lighting has never been on,

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Some code readers are better than others, a basic code reader might not do the job. Might be worth getting it on Forscan to read the soft codes etc. I personally wouldnt use anything else, Forscan is a must if you have Ford it does almost everything and you only need a cheap-ish cable and a laptop..

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Personally I'd try putting the battery on charge before I spent money on diagnostic tools...

·
Premium Member
Grumpy Pete - Mk 2 PFL CP320
130 Posts
If you can afford to run an ST then you can certainly afford to buy a cheap diagnostic tool to read and clear codes…the cost of a half decent one is less than half price of a tank of fuel…alternatively download Forscan….

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I hope this will reassure you but this seems to be a common fault. I had the same error for me but it just came on randomly and put the car in to limp mode. I turned the car off then back on and it's been absolutely perfect ever since (this happened about 5 month ago). I had it plugged in to diagnostics and nothing came back and judging by loads of other forums it has happened to a lot of people and it never comes back.

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,078 Posts
Try turning on ignition without touching any of the pedals then

1. Simultaneously press the brake and accelerator pedal and hold them in the fully pressed position
2. After a few seconds the display will show ’reset in prog’
3. Continue to hold both pedals fully depressed for approx 25 secs or until the display shows ‘reset complete’
4. Release both pedals and place ignition in the OFF position/mode.

This may clear the message for you.

·
Premium Member
Steve Mk3.5 MP/275
780 Posts
I hope this will reassure you but this seems to be a common fault. I had the same error for me but it just came on randomly and put the car in to limp mode. I turned the car off then back on and it's been absolutely perfect ever since (this happened about 5 month ago). I had it plugged in to diagnostics and nothing came back and judging by loads of other forums it has happened to a lot of people and it never comes back.
Same thing happened to me took the car to my local Ford garage they ran diagnostics on it no codes found. The service manager who is a friend of mine
told me they need to catch it when the fault is actually happening to be able to get any codes that are thrown up which of course is difficult when it happens
randomly. Mine had no EML light just the engine requires service warning and limp mode and no problem since. He passed the information on to Fords technical section to
see if they could shed any light on it nothing so far. I carry a code reader in the car in case it happens again so I have a chance of pulling up some codes.

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,078 Posts
Same thing happened to me took the car to my local Ford garage they ran diagnostics on it no codes found. The service manager who is a friend of mine
told me they need to catch it when the fault is actually happening to be able to get any codes that are thrown up which of course is difficult when it happens
randomly. Mine had no EML light just the engine requires service warning and limp mode and no problem since. He passed the information on to Fords technical section to
see if they could shed any light on it nothing so far. I carry a code reader in the car in case it happens again so I have a chance of pulling up some codes.
It happens a lot there is a bug somewhere in the software but to be fair to dealerships they can only clear it if it’s showing.
The other one is ’change Oil service now’ not long after a service.

·
Premium Member
Steve Mk3.5 MP/275
780 Posts
It happens a lot there is a bug somewhere in the software but to be fair to dealerships they can only clear it if it’s showing.
The other one is ’change Oil service now’ not long after a service.
I read a post somewhere on here a guy had the same issue he actually left the car with Fords and they finally found the problem to be a bad joint in the main
engine loom every time they moved the cable it caused the fault, I mentioned that to my mate when the car went in so they tried to recreate it on mine but no
success strange issue hopefully they will find out the cause.

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,521 Posts
Check the mega fuses for cracks, quite a common problem.
Font Schematic Parallel Rectangle Pattern

1 - 20 of 23 Posts