Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just went to start the car and it tried to start, but the clocks just reset and on the LCD display it came up with something like Engine Fault.

Radio works fine.

Does this mean I've got a flat battery in all this cold weather we've been having. The battery is 4 yrs old.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Sounds liek a flat battery.... try sitting in the car and turn the lights on, see if they go dim in a couple of mins.. alternatively put a multimeter on the battery terminals, should show 12 - 12.2 Volts...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys

The battery is in the house now being charged, was in a bad way according to the meter on the clarke charger.

I've also cleaned up the terminals, they looked a bit tired.

Fingers crossed.

Btw, how do you get the air filter out? I took the two screws out but nothing is coming off lol

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Trist, when you get the battery back on the car you need to find out why the battery died.... 3 options really a, the battery is knackered, very possible at 4 years old.. b, the alternator is not charging it properly, also possible and c, you left something electrical switched on....

a, you can check by taking the battery to halfords etc and they can put it on a resistive discharge meter thingy, just dont buy a replacement from there if it is had it... b, you can check yourself if you have a multimeter. Basically put the battery back on the car and start it up, then with no big electrical items running (heated screens etc), check the voltage across the terminals, should read 14.4V ( if i remember correctly) wit hthe engine running. If its much less than tht, the alternators crook.... Batteries do just die though, the one on my old discovery just died in 10 mins. Was fine when I started it, drove down the field, stopped it for 10 mins to do something with horses, went back to it and the battery was dead completely....

mark

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok charged and put back.

I put a meter across it, when just engine running it was at 14.4v, when I turned everything on, heated seats, screens fans lights etc it was around 13v. Is that right?

Also before I pulled the battery out the rage display said I had 57miles left, after reconnecting the battery it says 85miles! Which one do I trust?

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 6 Jan 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I put a meter across it, when just engine running it was at 14.4v, when I turned everything on, heated seats, screens fans lights etc it was around 13v. Is that right?

Yeah - sounds about right. But mbaker is right - you need to ascertain the cause of the original discharge.

QUOTE(Trist @ 6 Jan 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also before I pulled the battery out the rage display said I had 57miles left, after reconnecting the battery it says 85miles! Which one do I trust?

Frankly, neither.

I'd get myself to a petrol station pronto and let the ECU work things out from scratch again with a nice full tank of fuel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
sorry to hijack but was gonna start a new post but no need as ive the same problem!

my car is struggling to start and when it does it say 'engine fault' and then 'acceleration reduced'???
would this be the battery as mentioned above??

however jumped in after the gym, car started fine, however after a mile or so in slush 'esp failure' light showed up on the dash for approx a mile and then went!?

please advise, car only done 24000 but just had new gearbox- would this contribute to my problem as car was running spot on last week!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the ESP failure too. Check to see if your battery terminals are ok, tight and clean. As we've got a Mondeo at work which gave error messages like these, and it turned out to be a loose negative.

Check the charge of the battery too. Might be low but this cold weather making it worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.