Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a T-Mobile G1 with the Android OS which I've been very, very impressed with. It's coming to the end of its 18-month contract and I'm wondering what to get next.

Google's own Nexus 1 looks fantastic and I'm a big fan of the Android platform.

That said, it's 'off-contract' only, meaning an outlay of a few hundred dollars to import one from the US. T-Mobile won't decrease my tariff because I've now effectively 'paid off' the 'free' handset so it makes sense to get another phone on contract as I'll want to keep my number and the package I'm on is pretty good (Flext45 with unlimited 3G for £20 a month). The new HTC Desire is coming soon and has been dubbed the 'Nexus 2':

I'm also informed that T-Mobile will be getting this in the near future. What other Android-based handsets should I be looking at, or even Windows Mobile 7? With HTC's 'Sense' UI, it actually makes WinMo usable apparently - I've never tried it, has anyone made that move? Any feedback or info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Must say I'm not well up on Android although I have had a quick play with a mate's Nexus 1. Seemed well made (titanium and teflon I think) and the OS had some nice touches although things like screen/menu transitions were surprisingly lumpy. Perhaps an update will improve this.

I'm an iPhone guy (at the moment at least) and can easily recommend a 3GS although I'm guessing you're not at all interested in the Cupertino Jesus Phone as you didn't mention it at all.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have just got shut of my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, absolute garbage and i'm a pro windows user! Had nothing but problems with it and ended up using 'cooked' ROM's to get the most out of it, even then it still ******** up.

I would be tempted with an andriod although I have just got myself a 3GS and haven't looked back.

As an ex Windows Mobile user, even with the SenseUI, it doesn't hide the horrible 6.5 OS niggles that are there. However, the SenseUI coupled with the 1GHz CPU does speed the OS up alot. I will be waiting for WM7 reviews before I even think about using another WM device again.

Rich

·
Registered
577 Posts
From what little I've seen of WM7, it looks pretty good - finally. Like Rich M though, I'd definately want to read some reviews and have a go with it before committing to a windows phone.

·
Founder (retired)
4,806 Posts
O I love phone shopping it's awesome fun.

If your interested in the iPhone then wait until June when the new generation iPhone will be announced don't start a new contract just yet.

Having said that I do like the Google phone and it's features already surpass that of the proposed iPhone replacement although that is assumed and based on internet rumors.

The latest HTC line up looks pretty good and the android operating system is pretty smart I wish I'd never got the BlackBerry Storm over the Google G1 but needs must and all that.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only problem is that phone tech moves so fast, I hate having to keep something for 18 months+. I think they might even push some phones to 2 years. I want to upgrade within a year usually...!

The Desire launches on T-Mobile at the end of March, I think I'll have to have a play with it then. The spec list already has me drooling. The only thing is that Android isn't yet quite as slick as the iPhone. That said, the Desire does have pinch'n'push which is said to greatly improve the browsing, making it as good as the iPhone.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Don't forget all the talk about a new iPhone are just Internet rumours ... Nothings official as yet , but scotts right . If you can wait Then until June / July and see what mr jobs has up his sleeve ????..all the so called smart phones have caught up slighty with apple so I'd expect apple to leap ahead again with the next iPhone

Gav - you looked at a palm pre ??

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If what they announce is as underwhelming as the iPad, I won't hold my breath..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts