Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
ELM327 Software Package & Guide

Ok I just wanted to post a quick guide and software package for anybody (Like me) who has or is having trouble with setting up their ELM 327 cable. Some parts of guides out their seemed outdated or confusing, so I tired to keep things short and simple. I have included the driver for the cable in the package, it took me a while to source one that actually worked. So enjoy!

For those who don't know, in simple terms the ELM cable and software allows you to edit settings on the ECU of your car like lock settings, window settings, wiper settings, light settings etc etc. If you like tweeking then this is for you!

I take no credit for any of this. I would like to thank xfileswilly and KD372a on here for there help in getting me all setup. I have basicly picked their brains and also gathered some info from the links below.

Anyways if you have a modded ELM 327 cable and a laptop then just download the package below. All is explained in the readme. If you are in need of a modded ELM 327 cable please PM xfileswilly, he will be able to help you out.

ELM Config Links & Downloads

* Complete Package(ELM Config/DLL Pack/Drivers) - Here / Or View attachment Focus ST ELM Config.zip
* Willy's profile/PM (ELM327 Cable Info) - Here
* Willy's group buy and guide - Here
* Focus Owner Club Guide - Here
* Driver source - Here

Credits
xfileswilly
KD372a
www.focusstoc.com
www.fordownersclub.com

If anybody has any more info or links to add please post and I will add them here. It would be nice to gather as much info to help everybody out as possible.

(Updated 14/12/12)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi team.

I've had a quick search but am i right in saying that the ELMconfig software isn't compatible with Apple Macs?.... am i going to need a PC with Windows on it?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Hi team.

I've had a quick search but am i right in saying that the ELMconfig software isn't compatible with Apple Macs?.... am i going to need a PC with Windows on it?

Thanks.
Yep.

If you run bootcamp and install Windows 7, it's fine though.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Bump

update

someone advised checking out Jamessimpson and have managed to sort it
HI, how did you sort this please? I have same error and have looked at Jame Simpson's site but still no joy. I can use FORSCAN so I know the device and COM port are OK but cannot get ELMConfig to run. Cheers....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There is a link to a file on Jamessimpson called runtime pack installer
That worked for me
Tried that but when I plug ELM unit in, windows installs it on a VCP/Com Port and I'm guessing it needs to be on Direct DLL's (which I've downloaded from FTDI but can seem to get ELM unit to use them....will keep trying....thanks for reply!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
If you manually copy dlls they won't run until they are registered.
From a cmd prompt in the folder that host the dlls type regsrv32 followed by the dll full name and press return. Repeat for each.

I've run loads of version of elmconfig, Windows 7 32bit.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sorted! All it needed was right-click option and "Run as Administrator" - seems obvious now :facepalm: (That is, to run ELMConfig as administrator, as well as DLL install)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts