Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got my ELM from the group buy on here but have a few questions before I plug it in. Don't want to mess anything up, wipe the ecu etc

Downloaded the ELM Config 0.2.3 software, dll files then and sourced some drivers (the cd didnt work).

Installed the dll files. Installed the drivers for the cable. I set the cable up on port 3 and opened the ELM software. Set the port and speed up on that also and clicked open port. Then the software opens and the cables lights up light a christmas tree then goes back to red. I aint plugged it into the car yet but so far is it all setup ok by the sounds of things? However when I click setup ELM 327 for MS-CAN bus nothing happens?

Also,

1) When do I need to use the switch and what position does it need to be in? Can use "switch" while plugged in?

2) How do I save the default settings of the ecu? Go into each module and "save config"? Is there not a global save option?

Any help much appreciated guys! Thankyou

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
A couple of points:
There is no need to run the setup option if the unit was pre-configured with the switch.
You can't screw up the ECU, you may get Engine Malfunction warning but you can clear the DTC code later.
The switch has three positions, on-off-on. The Off position does nothing. The first on position is either MS-CAN or HS-CAN and the other on position is the opposite of the first.
You need to select read from each configuration in order to save each configuration. There is no Global save, default file names are given.

Also stay away from anything that is not translated, especially HEC configuration page 3.
Just play with, once saved. GEM pages 1,2,3, RCM & HEC pages 1 & 2.

Facelift Cluster Firmware update is on HEC, Procedures, page 2. Takes 26 minutes to update.

I have enabled Auto Lock, GEM, page 2. Set auto lock speed to 10 Km GEM page 1 at the bottom. Disabled the reverse wipe, initial rear wipe GEM page 3. Cluster menu options HEC, page 1, HEC level 2/3, now have FM radio station on the cluster information, plus others. Disabled seat belt reminder sound, RCM, Beltreminder (EU): Sound off.

Remember, read from the configuration options, then save configuration prior to making any changes. This will save your pants from being soiled.

Good luck

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mate thankyou so much, you have answered my questions and more!

Is there any need to update the firmware on the cluster? Also where do I get the firmware from?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
The cluster firmware update will enable additional menu options such as ECO mode, if not currently available.
Best practice would be to update the firmware before playing with the configuration.
Remember, it will take about 26 minutes and the dash and radio will switch off during the update.
Don't panic, let it finish.
The firmware update is already available from within ELMConfig, no need to download separately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts