Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
OK so my 1st mod was Eibachs to make the
look so much better - and it does look great

BUT - is have the car lowered worse for fast road driving ?

I find myself having to slow down for bad road bumps and dips, or the car bottoms-out and feels and sounds horrible doing this

The handling does feel sharper than without the Eibachs and the braking is more stable... but over bad bumps its a different matter

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
its a compromise realy isnt it ,you cant lower the car for better handling and still expect to get over speed bumps and dips as you used to for the simple reason the cars lowerd .
to be honest did you not think of this when you had them fitted ??
i have mine lowerd and dont have any issues at all exept for some of the rather large pot holes that seem to be springing up everywhere at present .
but all in all im very happy with the eibachs as to be honest the body roll in the standard ST just absolutely ruins the car and standard set up when brakeing is terible ,i think the st should come with eibachs as standard realy .
maybe in a bit of time youl prefer the car lowerd as opossed to standard .

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Never bottomed out in mine yet, and I was on some very fast/bumpy roads coming back from Whitby yesterday, and also live in a hilly area with lots of dips/crests/yumps.

I DO catch speed bumps etc but can live with that, if mine bottomed in dips etc I would go back to std I think.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
same here, never had a problem. i also take mine on track alot for which the standard springs are comical!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
eibachs have same rate as standard springs, except they are shorter allowing less travel so bottoming out is to be expected. You have to pay for benefits of high speed cornering on smooth road with taking it easy over bumps. I reckon eibachs is a compromise, which isn't for everyone.

I had them and although they are an improvement on stock springs in some areas I actually ended up hating them bottoming out and oscillating over rough surfaces at high speed. If you feel the same get some coliovers, they have much more solid damping and would hardly bottom out as stiffer settings.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm happy with the Eibach's overall - especially the look it gives the ST which is how it should always have been - but at over about 60mph (and sometimes slower)
if I hit the bad bump or go down a sudden dip the painful result is just horrible...

When I was in the Yorks Dales it was shocking on some of the roads there... over one dip at about 40mph I think the cars nose touched down... there was a massive bang anyway !!

I wouldn't go back to std but I think that just the Pro-kit is more for cosmetic reasons than serious fast road-performance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bottoming out is when a the spring gets fully compressed and results in a large hard thud. Hope that explains.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's obviously not for everyone. I suppose it depends on what you do with your car (like taking it to a track) or if you use it for just general use.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the ST is particullary bad over sharp imperfections in the road anyway. I wouldnt strictly blame the Eibachs (although they do make it worse).
To me they are 6 of one 24 of the other. Slight deteriation in ride, but the lowering is win-win for handling.

J

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
Never bottomed out in mine yet, and I was on some very fast/bumpy roads coming back from Whitby yesterday, and also live in a hilly area with lots of dips/crests/yumps.

I DO catch speed bumps etc but can live with that, if mine bottomed in dips etc I would go back to std I think.
Never ? You cant be really trying mate

I've had to back off numerous times 'cos the car was getting hammered by the bumps and dips

And due to changing to Eibach's after a just couple of weeks ownership I never really got to know how the standard car rode them ...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I live on the edge of the Dales so spend lots of time on the roads you mention and have never bottomed once - I sometimes catch the lip or the under engine tray on bumps, but have never actually hit the bump stops.

As for trying, I was leading a splinter group on the last Richmond run and had to slow down for the others to catch me.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live on the edge of the Dales so spend lots of time on the roads you mention and have never bottomed once - I sometimes catch the lip or the under engine tray on bumps, but have never actually hit the bump stops.

As for trying, I was leading a splinter group on the last Richmond run and had to slow down for the others to catch me.
To be fair, only motorbikes gave me serious competition the last time I was up there ... and I'm being serious.

Maybe I am expecting too much from the ST on just the Eibach Pro-kit ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts