Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
QUOTE(Jon @ 27 Aug 2008, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you need to have the wheels re-alligned (sp?) once the Eibachs are on to enure the tyre wear is even?

I would recommend you let them settle for a week or two and then have a full 4 wheel allignement done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good guides arbee and stjamie, hoping to fit mine this weekend after reading your fitting advice, should cure my vertigo

Bought mine from Ford dealer, £120 not bad, will get elite rainham to 4 wheel align, unless anyone knows of a better garage in essex/east london

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
pretty good guide to anyone who has never done anything like this before well done

i would say (and i am NOT criticising) scared the
out of me you saying not to use clamps to remove the old springs but if you have done it then fair play.

ive fitted a couple of sets to
now and ive clamped for my own safety on removal (no need on insatll)
but for any one reading buy the eibach best mod for money (except ds) car looks better drives better and corners better ( cant get 3 fingers under front wing
)

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(ST225 @ 11 Apr 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If this is the right set of Eibach Pro's for the ST (advert says 20mm drop) then a good price me thinks.

Eibach Pro Kit

I think their advert's probably not been updated as the spring spec's have changed. My 2008 Eibach Pro's drop the car 20mm front 25mm rear, don't know if Eibach supply differing specs or one set supercedes the previous.

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTEi would say (and i am NOT criticising) scared the censored.gif out of me you saying not to use clamps to remove the old springs but if you have done it then fair play.

ive fitted a couple of sets to ST.gif now and ive clamped for my own safety on removal (no need on insatll)

Makes it easier to remove them by putting some compression on the spring (you dont need to put too much). You can undo the nut easier and take of the top section with the bearing before touching the spring. I split my bearing holder and spent some time fixing this!! My springs had a fair amount of compression too.

Also easier when putting back on as you can take care of torqueing up the nut first before you align the spring with its previous positions

You are also supposed to fit new shock piston top nut, strut to hub carrier bolt and anti-rollbar link nut

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just fited my springs today and you DO need to compress the front springs it is much easier.
The back ones i just took the 15mm bolt out of bottom arm, jacked the hub up and popped the old spring out, took about 5 mins.
Worth mentioning on the o/s front you also need to remove the self leveling h/lamp adjuster on the bottom arm,only an 8mm bolt but will get damaged if you try to remove the shocker with it still attached.
Also after fitting the springs and taking the car off the axl stands i had trouble getting my jack out(lol) because the car sat lower, but i am realy impressed with how the car sits, rides and looks.

chris.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fited my springs today and you DO need to compress the front springs it is much easier.
The back ones i just took the 15mm bolt out of bottom arm, jacked the hub up and popped the old spring out, took about 5 mins.
Worth mentioning on the o/s front you also need to remove the self leveling h/lamp adjuster on the bottom arm,only an 8mm bolt but will get damaged if you try to remove the shocker with it still attached.
Also after fitting the springs and taking the car off the axl stands i had trouble getting my jack out(lol) because the car sat lower, but i am realy impressed with how the car sits, rides and looks.

chris.
Once you refitted the o/s shocker with self levelling h/lamp adjuster, did you have to adjust the sensor bar to allow for the car being lower? I had my Eibachs fitted last week and now the h/lamps dont adjust, they just point at the floor, not far in front of the car

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Welcome to the club mate

What you're seeing is a problem with the routing of the arm which operates the levelling sensor - if you have a search of the tech sections on the forum this has been experienced before and is easily fixed

You'll also need to raise the headlamps a bit to compensate for the car being lowered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm having trouble fitting my rear springs. The bolt that runs through the bush connecting the arm and the hub is siezed. Tried the long bar on the end of the tbar but it didnt crack. I dont want to force it incase it shears. Any other ways on how to change them?

I was thinking of disconnecting the damper and the bolts from the middle of the sway bar, if that makes sense.

Cheers,

Spence

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Think that's how Wolf did it when they put the standard springs back on my last ST - the bolt can corode to the bush so there's a risk of wrecking the bush if you go too far with it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
just spent most of the afternoon trying to fit near side eibach spring, nightmare ,t he 15 mm bolt at the bottom of the shock wos so tight 1,30 mins to undo then the bolt on top of the shock is 18mm not 15mm and does not undo just with a spanner iam full of cuts,grazes bruises i have give up till tomoz (tues) and get my mate to give me a hand (hes a mechanic ) moral of the story , it is a million times harder to do these jobs on your drive at home !!!!! but if the garages stopped trying to rip us off they would get more business.

·
Registered
569 Posts

the bloke at my local garage wanted £140 to fit mine, so i did them myself, though it did take about 7 hours lol

and yeah mine are 18mm too, you also need an allen key for the strut top, and then use a ring spanner on the allen key to lever at same time as holding the nut with the 18mm ring !
if you were nearer id give u a hand m8, but ur miles away !

the back are so much easier !! removed one bolt and then got a 6 foot scaffold bar and levered down and spring comes out easy enough.

good luck m8

·
Registered
87 Posts
well we got there in the end wot a
job !!!! all 4 springs are on the back ones are so easy we took the back wheels off, took the bolt off and i stood on the bottom arm and my mate pulled the spring out, so good when a plan comes together !!!!! the car looks great , sitting lower, drives great,harder over the bumps but not overly so . so all in all, worth the effort. (worth all the ear ache off the wife)!!!!!!
ps, thanks to all that posted on this subject, it was a great help

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.