Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Fitted some Eibach front springs this afternoon - so i thought id do a quick 'how to'

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tire Motor vehicle

Remove 15mm bottom shock bolt and push out rubber brake hose from clip

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Cylinder Machine

Undo top anti-roll bar nut - 15mm

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bicycle part Bumper

un-plug ABS sensor

Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Leg Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

using a long bar put pressure under the shock and then give it some!!! - as per picture

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Rim

after some 'light' force, the shock will pop out

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Motor vehicle

open bonnet and remove small metal clips that hold the plastic cover on and un-do both small screws(1 each end)

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting

you can then access the 3 bolts which hold the shock on - the one at the back is easy to get to - just lift the plastic up to gain access

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive lighting

shock removed

Shoe White Automotive tire Road surface Aluminum can

chalk a line down the shock - so when re-fitted you know the orginal postion

Now remove the top nut - 18mm, for anyone who's fitted shocks before its very strange but you dont need spring compressors to clamp the spring

Automotive tire Rim Gas Electrical wiring Hose

use a screw driver and prise up the rubber boot - then remove the old spring

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

fit the new spring, line up the chalk marks and secure the 15mm top nut

re-fit the shock to the car(top first) secure the three 13mm bolts

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle

place a jack under the bottom ball joint and re-fit shock into the suspension leg - proberly the hardest part is getting the shock back into the leg - keep taping with a hammer and jacking slowly keeping pressure on - the shock will slowly go back in

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bumper Automotive fuel system

not a great picture, but two things to keep an eye on - make sure small metal locacating clip on back of the shock stays central and once shock is in, make sure its fully upto its metal stop

once your happy its fully in re-fit bottom bolt, re-fit anti roll bar and push brake hose back in

now do the other side!!

Tool Font Office supplies Household hardware Hand tool

picture of the tools i used

edit

make sure you remove the headlamp adjuster on the osf lower arm before taking the shock out

Attachments

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
That is a great step by step. Very easy to do. Strange why the springs dont have any compression. Did you do the rear springs? Would have liked to see how the rears were done. Looks as if it is just one bolt to take off.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes i did change the rears aswell, did those the day before but the camera messed up
- basically the rears involve un-doing one bolt and using a spring compressor to help remove the old spring

Just a answer to someone who asked about just changing the rears - not a good idea, it dosen't seem to reck the handling, but the rear sits lower then the front!!

QUOTEGlad you got the Eibachs, you know it makes sense

What do you think of how its improved the drive?

totally transforms the handling when pushing hard - but normal driving keeps the car feeling standard

p.s anybody thinking about fitting the springs should speak to Malcolm - his review sold them to me

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Only just read this and think it's a top job done by Jamie. And the Word doc linked here too

I still can't decide on springs or not - know it improves the handling I'm just wary of scraping my mudflaps even more and how the car looks lowered. Need to see some ST's in the flesh with the eibachs on.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I did the rears a bit different from the link above, after hearing of people having problems wh the bush splitting where the bolt passes through the suspension arm I decided leave it alone. Instead I undone the bolt holding the rear strut on to the hub, then got some spring compressors on the spring. After pushing the whole rear hub down the spring came out pretty easily.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Managed to dig out some torque settings to go with the How-to's above......

Front End
Strut brace top bolts - 32Nm
Stab bar to strut - 48Nm
Strut to steering knuckle 90Nm
Strut Top Nut - 50Nm

Rear End
Stab bar joint to lower arm - 48Nm
Damper to wheel hub/knuckle - 115Nm, nip up then fully tighten when weight of car is dropped back onto wheels!
Rear lower arm to knuckle 115Nm

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just ordered springs for my ST2 so the instructions will really help, I have a mate who use to fit shox so has kindly offered to help me as he has all the tools as well.
I've seen a couple of ST's that have got Eibachs fitted and they just look so much better than standard. Hopefully fitting them next weekend. Checked with my Local Ford Dealer and he believes that if you fit Eibachs then it wont effect the warranty as they are Ford approved.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Fitted the springs this morning, took around 21/2 - 3 hours in total, car looks great has made a real difference to the handling but ride quality is pretty much as it was, so £130 well spent.

Thanks again for the how to.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.