Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since ive had the mountune fitted, i had to leave my car in the garage for two weeks. Since that i get a bad smell of eggs, mostly on start up then when i pull away from the lights after sitting there a few mins.

Im thinking its the cat, but its going on too long now. I never once had the smell when it was a standard 225.

Do you think my cat needs replacing?

Cheers all.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Usually an eggy smell is from the cat. It might be a slight glitch with the map or a spark plug not firing properly. The best thing to do would be to speak to Mountune, they are the experts and should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Since ive had the mountune fitted, i had to leave my car in the garage for two weeks. Since that i get a bad smell of eggs, mostly on start up then when i pull away from the lights after sitting there a few mins.

Im thinking its the cat, but its going on too long now. I never once had the smell when it was a standard 225.

Do you think my cat needs replacing?

Cheers all.
sounds like the cat to me mate but i would doubt it needs replacing as it would put the mil light on if it was'nt working correctly.
have you tried taking it for a spirited blast to clear any soot etc out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I thought my cat hand gone a few months back as I started to get an eggy smell on startup. Turned out to be the fuel from my local shell garage causing the smell, as when I tried others it was ok again.

Rich

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
How about something more simple, a build up of water, have a good sniff around, try the washer fluid bottle

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies.

Yeah i'll call em tomorrow.

I took the motor for a 70+ mile run for two nights running last week. Its improved a bit, but its still there. Started it up yesterday and today, and it was still there.

I have been using Tesco 99 for the last 3 tank fills, but thats been after i left it for two weeks.

I'll see what Mountune says.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
I remember an old post about the sulphur smell from mountune cars, i think it was at a rr day ? but a few people mentioned the smell, if you haven't got the mil light on,on the dash, i doub't your cat's faulty. I would say its just to do with the fueling of the map. Nothing to worry about, but not a nice wiff.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Take the cap off the washer bottle and have a smell, I'm pretty confident it'll be the fluid gone off in there.
Loads of threads on the subject if you have a little search.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
my last car suffered an eggy stink. cleaned out the washer bottle - smell gone. maybe the same for you - stagnant manky water.

good luck.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I remember an old post about the sulphur smell from mountune cars, i think it was at a rr day ? but a few people mentioned the smell, if you haven't got the mil light on,on the dash, i doub't your cat's faulty. I would say its just to do with the fueling of the map. Nothing to worry about, but not a nice wiff.
That thread is almost as banned as I nearly got over it lol.

I would suspect like many others its the washer bottle, my car does it from time to time.

The smell of a failing cat isn't usually at start up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts