Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are off to Edinburgh in the morning, we'll be there for a couple of days, any suggestions on what to do, places to eat etc are more than welcome.

I have t'internet on my phone so I'll read your replies on the train tomorrow whilst in the buffet car
Thats if there are no leaves on the line

Cheers lad's "n" lasses

Rob

·
Registered
252 Posts
The bus tours are really good (turn right when coming out from train station and accross the road,if I remember correctly), you can't miss them as there are normally a few different ones! Edinburgh Castle, Scotch Whisky experience (same road as Castle), just a few things that we have done
We back there in a couple of weeks!! Love the place

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
It really depends what you want to do while you are there mate,shops are everywhere the more exclusive are on George Street along with nice bars and restaurants

Head to the Royal Mile at the top by the castle and walk right down to the bottom to the Scottish Parliament if you to do the tourist bit,The Grassmarket area has a few decent bars...

If you are stuck though send me a PM

I am in Edinburgh on Friday for my works day out

cheers

Jimmy

·
Registered
204 Posts
the ghost walk will be on its good with jumper ooter`s go on the one that leaves from the Witchery pub google it on your phone

frankenstiens pub is good for some scran and the toilets are a laugh when your jaked

·
Registered
155 Posts
Depends what you and wifey are into....(sounds a bit rude)

Youve also got the Royal Yacht down at Leith and Ocean Terminal for the shops is next door.

As Jimmy says, George Street for the bars, Tiger Lily is worth a visit for food and along the road a few metres, Candy Bar is a more informal but just as trendy place. Walter on the door has a seal grey ST which was Gav's the managers. Can you guess I drink a lot there?

Oviously the Castle but be warned, it could take you a day to go round it so maybe budget for 4 hours there.

You could come up to mine and watch TV too lol

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, currently sat in jimmy chungs stuffedup to my neck, drinking kronenburg (lol) she's alreDybeen shopping however I dont think she's finished groan.

Castle to tomorrow fancy the tunnels to if I can find them, must say the iPhone 3gs with it's compass really helps with getting around

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Rob, recently had a night in Edinburgh with Helen (the night of the Crail meet), I also love the place. If you want to eat somewhere really nice (if a little pricey), the restaurant in the Tigerlily Hotel on George Street is very good, you may have to book though. We stopped there, first class.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
QUOTE(treborrobert2 @ 16 Dec 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers guys, currently sat in jimmy chungs stuffedup to my neck, drinking kronenburg (lol) she's alreDybeen shopping however I dont think she's finished groan.

Castle to tomorrow fancy the tunnels to if I can find them, must say the iPhone 3gs with it's compass really helps with getting around

Using the maps on the iPhone will be handy too for finding different streets etc

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE(treborrobert2 @ 16 Dec 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers again guys, where do I find the tunnels I want to get the wife scared silly, are they open during the day or just nighttime?

If your looking for a tour in the vaults then they start on the royal mile, there are billboards with details. think some start from outside the tron church and others from round about st giles cathedral. the two companies are mercat tours and auld reekie tours, if you google them you'll get the exact details. The tours are good and best done at night
)

if you've got time try mary kings close, its all about edinburgh in the old days

enjoy your stay

rich

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
QUOTE(treborrobert2 @ 16 Dec 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers again guys, where do I find the tunnels I want to get the wife scared silly, are they open during the day or just nighttime?

The Dungeon Tour can be done at 31 Market Street,about 100m from the south entrance/exit of Waverley Station,it is near The Sports Bar opposite station entrance....

This is a daytime tour http://www.the-dungeons.co.uk/edinburgh/en/index.htm

Still trying to find you a link for the ghost tours which take place at night,I will find them though

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Davieravie @ 17 Dec 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not forgetting the ever so popular Tram works too!

yeah the roasworks are nuisance especially nearthe hotel on shandwick place.

Eating brekkie now castle soon then a mercat tour at 3 or 4pm then looking for tea somewhere as were gonna watch Avatar at cineworld tonight hope we don't have to book

·
Registered
23 Posts
theres plenty of really good places to eat in town. I can recommend
if you like mexican: Pancho (or poncho) villas which is down near the bottom of the royal mile, its brilliant,
if you like steak: McCurdies steak house on morrison street (very near cinema)
curry: the guru is pretty good n it is really close to the cinema opposite a bathroom shop called vistor paris.

but might need to book as these places are very popular especially with xmas parties.

worth noting that parking at cineworld is free, you validate the ticket in the cinema.

rich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts