Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got up Saturday morning and opened the curtians and it wasnt a bad day so decided to fit the ECU spacer, what a
mistake that was. My hands, knuckles and fingers are
cut to bits, i only managed to get two out of the four screws in. Any one got any sugestions on how to get the other two in? dont know how i got them out, two left out are the two bottom ones? the two in seem to holding the ECU in pritty solid and i can tell the difference straight away, the cars engine seams so much tighter
Any way can any of you give me any advise?

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Jack up the car, support on axle stands and remove the undertray.

Then approach the bottom screws from underneath.

As for your hands, I feel your pain matey. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and commemorative lunch-box with easy-tip flask.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
QUOTE(bully09 @ 25 Jan 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got up Saturday morning and opened the curtians and it wasnt a bad day so decided to fit y ECU spacer, what a
mistake that was. My hands, knuckles and fingers are
cut to bits, i only managed to get two out of the four screws in. Any one got any sugestions on how to get the other two in? dont know how i got them out, two left out are the two bottom ones? the two in seem to holding the ECU in pritty solid and i can tell the difference straight away, the cars engine seams so much tighter
Any way can any of you give me any advise?

thats put me right off doing mine now

·
Registered
346 Posts
Same as the other post I put my 2 bottom screws in from underneath its much easier. Be careful not to over tighten them otherwise you’ll need to buy larger screws. Found this to be a worthwhile conversion without the hassle and expense of fitting an induction kit. It’s also worthwhile to cut and refit the outer cover as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE(lesteruk23 @ 25 Jan 2010, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Same as the other post I put my 2 bottom screws in from underneath its much easier. Be careful not to over tighten them otherwise you'll need to buy larger screws. Found this to be a worthwhile conversion without the hassle and expense of fitting an induction kit. It's also worthwhile to cut and refit the outer cover as well.

Hi mate, I know this post is over a week old, but was just wondering if you found it worth while fitting the ECU spacer. I see you also have a Mountune. What difference did you notice, if any.

Thanks Mick

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Mickyboy @ 9 Feb 2010, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi mate, I know this post is over a week old, but was just wondering if you found it worth while fitting the ECU spacer. I see you also have a Mountune. What difference did you notice, if any.

Thanks Mick

Dont have a mountune fitted but it is definatley worth fitting a ECU spacer, i would suggest fitting a K&N panel filter at the
same time. You will notice the difference straight away, the ST pulls alot harder and just feels so much tighter, mate get it done

·
Registered
234 Posts
QUOTE(bully09 @ 9 Feb 2010, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dont have a mountune fitted but it is definatley worth fitting a ECU spacer, i would suggest fitting a K&N panel filter at the
same time. You will notice the difference straight away, the ST pulls alot harder and just feels so much tighter, mate get it done

MICKYBOY we have both of these items for sale in the for sale section

·
Registered
221 Posts
I fitted my ECU spacer and managed to get all four bolts in from the top. I used a short 1/4" extension with a bit-holder that holds the philips bit in place (save you constantly dropping it). The knuckle scars cleared up after a week or so! I recommend you modify your ECU cover too, rather than leave it uncovered. Theres a how-to with pictures on here somewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE(Flightmech @ 9 Feb 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I fitted my ECU spacer and managed to get all four bolts in from the top. I used a short 1/4" extension with a bit-holder that holds the philips bit in place (save you constantly dropping it). The knuckle scars cleared up after a week or so! I recommend you modify your ECU cover too, rather than leave it uncovered. Theres a how-to with pictures on here somewhere.

Ive looked for this how to without any luck. Any idea where it is?????

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Bully boy I have the tool for the job if you are still stuck, a ratchet spanner with tight access bits

I'm not far form Jct 35 if you need a hand

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE(Dennis @ 9 Feb 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bully boy I have the tool for the job if you are still stuck, a ratchet spanner with tight access bits

I'm not far form Jct 35 if you need a hand

Hi - sorry to hijack but im looking to add small performance mods like this and the filter. I'm pretty much new to all this modding lark but after my remap and asthetic mods im hooked! If i do and cant get anyone closer to help. Could you? Sorry if im being cheeky!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
QUOTE(Craig_SG1 @ 10 Feb 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi - sorry to hijack but im looking to add small performance mods like this and the filter. I'm pretty much new to all this modding lark but after my remap and asthetic mods im hooked! If i do and cant get anyone closer to help. Could you? Sorry if im being cheeky!

It is a bit of a trek for you but helping a fellow ST'er would not be a problem.

Having said all that aren't DS in Hull? While it may cost you a little in labour, think of the fuel you would be saving.

·
Registered
571 Posts
How much more air power does an ECU spacer put into the motor?

Does anyone have a pic to see what its like? Does it still keep covered up to stop water or anything else getting to the ECU?

I might get one to try it.

Cheers!

***EDIT***

Is this what im looking for? Also adds 12bhp.
Its carbon and cost £250

Attachments

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
thats the spacer ok.
expensive!
get a plastic one of ebay for £20 - £30.
also get a k&n panel filter to go with it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(ST Bunky @ 11 Feb 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How much more air power does an ECU spacer put into the motor?

Does anyone have a pic to see what its like? Does it still keep covered up to stop water or anything else getting to the ECU?

I might get one to try it.

Cheers!

***EDIT***

Is this what im looking for? Also adds 12bhp.
Its carbon and cost £250

if you PM jabbos he sells them for £30 that includes p&p, you can modify the ecu cover to fit back over the
ECU, this is what i did and the ECU spacer is worth every penny

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah its a tad pricey, but it looks higher sitting than the plastic ones ive seen.

I got the K&N filter as part of the Mountune package, so only need the spacer.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
For £250, you can spend an extra £30 and have a full DS Induction Kit.

£30-40 is a much more realistic price, in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts