Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title suggests, ive recently forked out £600 for a set of eagles and they are awful. They caused an alarming amount of axel tramp to the point where I thought something was wrong with my car i.e engine mount broke! They seem to have no grip what so ever and will snap traction instantly, I even spun my car twice one night! Luckily ive still got my standard wheels with prada spec 2's on which are an amazing tyre compared to the eagles. There is no axel tramp and the grip level is hugely increased with plenty of feedback when they are at their limit. I read reviews about the eagles on here and I was sure they would be a good tyre....but they arent
It feels like they are rock hard and dont seem to work particularily well in the dry or wet. Whats everyone elses opinion?

Paul

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have not had any experience with F1's on an ST my cousin has them on his BMW and they seem pretty good. I have yoko's onmy ST and i have said from the moment i have had them they are not the best tyre
so the F1's must be dreadful. but they may also just be a bad set(if that can even happen
).

No offense but you must be going pretty quick to spin your car twice.once fair enough i guess but why do the same thing again?
I am no grandad behind the wheel but i have not been driving that close the cars limits on a public road to spin it TBH. Unless you were on a track if so then fair enough

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Harmy2010 @ 28 Jan 2010, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have not had any experience with F1's on an ST my cousin has them on his BMW and they seem pretty good. I have yoko's onmy ST and i have said from the moment i have had them they are not the best tyre
so the F1's must be dreadful. but they may also just be a bad set(if that can even happen
).

No offense but you must be going pretty quick to spin your car twice.once fair enough i guess but why do the same thing again?
I am no grandad behind the wheel but i have not been driving that close the cars limits on a public road to spin it TBH. Unless you were on a track if so then fair enough

Im going to try and return them to kwikfit if thats possible
I was driving home from work in my normal manner, the eagles had bedded in after 200 miles and the car behaved completely different compared to the pradas. It was obviously on different corners.....I wouldnt purposely spin on the same corner! I was very far away from the cars limits but the tyres werent up to it. I now do the same journey with the pradas and dont even come close to spinnig. I was psyched up for them being good tyres so didnt expect them to struggle when pushing on a bit.

What dont you like about the pradas? I think they have amazing grip and are really progressive. They have done 4k road use and a whole day at oulton park and still have 5mm of tread left.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 28 Jan 2010, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im going to try and return them to kwikfit if thats possible
I was driving home from work in my normal manner, the eagles had bedded in after 200 miles and the car behaved completely different compared to the pradas. It was obviously on different corners.....I wouldnt purposely spin on the same corner! I was very far away from the cars limits but the tyres werent up to it. I now do the same journey with the pradas and dont even come close to spinnig. I was psyched up for them being good tyres so didnt expect them to struggle when pushing on a bit.

What dont you like about the pradas? I think they have amazing grip and are really progressive. They have done 4k road use and a whole day at oulton park and still have 5mm of tread left.

I just do not like there wet weather grip and lack of rim protection. i found them awful in the wet, NEVER dangerous as you say they are very progressive and predictable when loosing traction. Oddly they are better now with less tread then they were when they had done 2-3k
Not sure what is going on there. I am going to get Falken 452's next. they are cheaper(£65 a corner) and are getting alot of good press for wet and dry running. Let face it wet runnig is important living in england

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
this is the strangest tyre review i've ever seen

I personally rate them to be the best road tyre you can have for the ST. Nothing tramps, nothing spins, grip, grip, grip.

Can you post pictures of your tyres? tread pattern and all?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(vladSTer @ 28 Jan 2010, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this is the strangest tyre review i've ever seen

I personally rate them to be the best road tyre you can have for the ST. Nothing tramps, nothing spins, grip, grip, grip.

Can you post pictures of your tyres? tread pattern and all?

Really?!? I would love to go out in your car as a comparison....where do you live lol?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have the eagles on mine and think they are great tyres, very grippy and predicable when lose traction.. But i find you have to push hard for em to let go in the wet and dry. What tyre pressures are you running as Goodyear recomend they run at 38psi I think on the focus.

I out mine uo from 30psi to 34psi today and they are even better. Lots of guys on here rate them as a good tyre too... Is your car standard?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 28 Jan 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really?!? I would love to go out in your car as a comparison....where do you live lol?

I am in London mate. The reason I was asking for pictures is that a friend of mine got sold Goodyear GSD3 tyres by kwikfit after he asked for F1 Assymetrics and he was driving them for a week none the wiser.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I had GSD3's on my 170 and they were the best tyre's I've ever had and I'll be buying the assymetrics next.

I've read so many good reviews on them bar the odd negative one, I really don't see how they can be THAT bad

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've got them on the Front of mine and I've never had a problem with grip - in fact in the recent weather conditions they were excellent.

However I do have a mis-match with the original conti on the rear and it's the biggest mistake I'm ever made car wise - esp cuts in so much more now and ruins my driving fun!

Never ever mis-match tyres - I didn't listen to the warnings and paid the price

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have a mismatched Conti and Kumho on the rear, which were on it when I bought it, can't wait to change it for all round F1's! Perhaps this is why my car hasn't been feeling as composed as it should be when given a little "encouragement"!

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
this guy must have a faulty batch or they've not been fitted right becuase the consenses about these tyres is more than positive even outside of this club.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
QUOTE(Russeh @ 28 Jan 2010, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this guy must have a faulty batch or they've not been fitted right becuase the consenses about these tyres is more than positive even outside of this club.

+1 Something's not right there, I've heard 99% positive praise for these, I spoke to my girlfriend's Dad on these tyres and he is the area manager of a large tyre company and highly rates the F1's, only downside being apparently they wear slightly quicker than most.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have Goodyear Assymetrics on the front of mine with around 7000 miles on them. I think they're great, even during the bedding-in period. No tramp, lots of grip in the dry and wet. I have the original Goodyear Excellence on the back still and have no ESP issues either. I can only think you have a bad batch. Might be a stupid question, but have you checked the "direction of rotation" marks on the sidewall for correct direction. Mistakes happen

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE(Flightmech @ 28 Jan 2010, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have Goodyear Assymetrics on the front of mine with around 7000 miles on them. I think they're great, even during the bedding-in period. No tramp, lots of grip in the dry and wet. I have the original Goodyear Excellence on the back still and have no ESP issues either. I can only think you have a bad batch. Might be a stupid question, but have you checked the "direction of rotation" marks on the sidewall for correct direction. Mistakes happen

I'm told by those in the know that it's because they're a different running diameter from the Conti's or something like that - you probably don't get it because you have GY all round.

It's not uncommon - local service department tech is a member on here and he's had it when he mixed tyres - think it's more a case of mixing manufacturer rather than model of tyre.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Tyres are 100% subjective.

I personally love Yoko's and especially the Parada Spec 2's. I have heard gripes about F1's before, although they are normally praised. Have they been fitted properly?

·
Registered
448 Posts
To the OP,

If they are THAT bad, did you check for uneven wear on the old tyres? if you have camber/tracking issues new tyres will be worse as the contact surface will be reduced until they wear unevenly too.

Are they directional? if so KF didn't put them on the wrong way did they

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Paul,

like I said to you in a different thread the other day, the F1 Assy's are great tyres. You either have a fitting problem, or a bad set of tyres. There is no way in the world a set of bedded in nearly new Assy's will spin out on a corner a half worn set of Parada's can take no problem. There is a good reason that the Assy's have won or got near the top of every tyre test run in the last few years, and Humberside police use them on all their motorway cars...
Seriously mate, a lot of Kwik Fit employees are not the sharpest tool in the box, could be a problem there, or a manufacturing defect on the tyres. I would contact Goodyear, explain the problem and get them to recommend somewhere you can take them to be checked....
Where in the Uk are you?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've had F1 Assymetrics for around 5,000 miles now and have to say they are superb tyres, the grip is excellent in both wet and dry.

As already stated its possible the tyres have been fitted the wrong way round or incorrectly, check the sidewalls to ensure they are F1 assymetrics, there should also been writing on the sidewall that says somethink like "side facing outwards", if that is there you will know if they are the right way round.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with the majority.....I have used the older GSD3 F1's for the past 2 years and now have the F1 Assys.... Good grip in the wet and even better in the dry..... all I can say is as others have said in this post, either kwikfit are a bunch of numpties and incorrectly fitted them, or maybe you are driving beyond the limits of the tyre and dare I say it (preparing for a reply) possibly driving irresponsibly.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts