Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Yesterday evening when driving to and from footy, I noticed an issue with what felt slow climbing revs through the gears when accelerating hard.

The car was recently fully serviced at end of June and had a stage 1 remap last September. 20000k miles on the clock. ST3

However I've had issues where it feels like when putting the power down even through 2 to 3rd though power delivery is there, it is delayed and it seems to "stutter" "judder" at 3-3.5k revs, even when TC is turned off. It feels like I can't get to redline and it hits the rev limiter, I'm also now sure if my map has been removed since Ford replaced and programmed in a new BCM earlier in the year after issues with tyre pressure sensors.

I've plugged in couple of ODB readers today and bother have returned DTC P0340, DTC P0344. I remember having these codes back last September not long after my remap and it going into limp mode after accelerating to hard from 1st. I cleared them at the time and they never returned.

I've now cleared them again. I've wanted to go back to the tuner to check if my map is still there, but they said until I've booked in with local garage for this fault with the codes relating to crankshaft to be rectified before booking in with them.

There's no issues with engine startup, but I'm wondering now if I have faulty crankshaft position sensor that is not just intermittent fault as it seemingly was before when last had the codes and something more adverse is happening in tandem with the other aforementioned issues (not only with slow revs yesterday and getting stuck, but the stuttering at 3-3.5k revs). Maps also cause so many issues seemingly, I am tempted just to go back to stock, due to increased reliability issues. It seems more hassle than it's worth just for better throttle response and power delivery.

Could this be red herring and be issues with faulty MAF or Solenoid which seem to be common problems? What do you recommend? Apparently disconnecting the battery will not solve the issue even if it is intermittent circuit malfunction. I've no lights or anything. I have been driving in highest gear at 40mph at times when thrashing it other times for brief moments before slowing back down.

Is the car safe to drive? I don't really want to take it to garage just to confirm what the code reader has returned.

Thanks,

Rob
Black Font Screenshot Technology Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is the map still on there remember your posts from a while back where a few suggested asking Ford if they updated the pcm but you didn’t reply
Sorry pal, I hadn't replied. I wasn't awaiting for Ford to confirm what they were actually replacing (all under warranty), it was the BCM not PCM as initially thought, that they had replaced. So I don't know if there is issue with the map in regards to above or whether the above codes and issues are separate from the stage 1 mapping itself. I've had map on there since September and it completely transformed the car but now it just feels sluggish and stuttery when accelerating up to 3/3.5 revs even in low gears at which point esp/tc light flashes and revs slowly climbing, that's it's hard to get any where past 5 in an gear.

As it stands, today, in fact I got a reply from Ford after sending them an email last week to confirm whether the ECU software was updated or not as when replacing the BCM to determine whether this would have removed the map before booking in with the tuner to check and reapply the map. They had confirmed it was programmed in but not updated.

"from the info I have we only coded the module to the car, so a full update shouldn’t have been carried out so shouldn’t have affected the map.

We have has a couple of vehicles that have been mapped that have developed issues with the mapping but that was due to the original mapping that was carried out on the car. We don’t have the mapping software which is a shame, so we can’t do anything to fix the original maps applied by other companies, but I think the chap that replied to you may have carried this out so should be able to help there.

Hope that helps, I will be back in the office next week so can always do bit more investigating then, maps are a little outside by expertise I’m afraid."

Are codes systematic of their being issue with sensors or performance issues I've alluded to above? I've cleared the codes for now and will drive it tomorrow with my OBD reader plugged in and connected and see if codes return. Any ideas at what it may be at this stage?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean? I only told them it was mapped when enquired last week to ask if ECU software was updated when they replaced the BCM. Certainly didn't tell them this when it was in for all tyre sensors issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts