Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've switched to DS Race for the last few weeks - since the snow went - and think I've found my perfect everyday map

It's got more power than Perf+, and is so smooth compared to Race+ and DSci, plus it pulls really well right up the rev range ...

There's less problem with wheelspin and the engine still gives a brilliant sound and plenty of pops on the upchange

I cant see me changing anymore as Race has got it all ...

PS. I even stayed right with an M3 yesterday, no problem

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had clutch-slip with any DS map, in any gear ...

I think my early
has a stronger clutch than some later cars...

Race should be good for those that do though, its so much smoother and less agressive than Race+ / Dsci ...

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE(FastEddie @ 21 Feb 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've switched to DS Race for the last few weeks - since the snow went - and think I've found my perfect everyday map

It's got more power than Perf+, and is so smooth compared to Race+ and DSci, plus it pulls really well right up the rev range ...

There's less problem with wheelspin and the engine still gives a brilliant sound and plenty of pops on the upchange

I cant see me changing anymore as Race has got it all ...

PS. I even stayed right with an M3 yesterday, no problem

Totally Agree.

After buying my DS last year, its the only map that I run. I have tried all of them and Race is my favourite. If there was a map that feels like a 'factory map' I think its Race. Race+ and DSCi come on boost far too easily in my opinion, and feels like you have fitted a bleed valve with too much boost. Race takes a little more engine load to boost fully and comes in much more predictably.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(chrisd @ 21 Feb 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Totally Agree.

After buying my DS last year, its the only map that I run. I have tried all of them and Race is my favourite. If there was a map that feels like a 'factory map' I think its Race. Race+ and DSCi come on boost far too easily in my opinion, and feels like you have fitted a bleed valve with too much boost. Race takes a little more engine load to boost fully and comes in much more predictably.

It suits my driving-style and also the type of roads I use most ...

R+ & Dsci are so on/off and seem to feel so laggy that they really annoy me after a few days... and they make the
feel quite crude.

If the factory car was like that it would have been crucified.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I like the Race map, I ran it for a couple of months last year and it was good, although I always go back to the DSCI map.

You still get clutch slip with Race as well.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
only ever tried dsci , keep meaning to try the rest but just havent had the chance yet .. i really like dsci tho as most people do

·
Registered
484 Posts
i like the race+ as an everyday map.
my cars gotta be a keckil and hyde car. i need off boost driving when my missus is in the car then POWER!!! when its just me so race+ works as there is next to no boost upto 3k which is ideal then power after that which when your driving fast(ish) works very well.
i was on a back road for the first time in my ST the other week and for a change it was a bone dry day so i decided to test the ST and found with race+ i could leave it in 4th as it had the power low down to pull me out of corners but enough lag (if you can call it that) coming out so not to power understeer.
but differant maps for differant people , everyones driving style is very differant.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Race + and Dsci are ok on fast open road with high average speeds, but otherwise you are like a hooligan going round in crazy spurts - waiting for the boost .... then woahhhh.... and its time to back off and then start again

On slower, twisty and town roads I prefer Race for the smooth progess...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I still think that's down to induction.

On std induction I would be inclined to agree but with the CAIS fitted and running DSCI mine picks up from right down in the revs so I always have enough go whether twisty or fast/open. Race+ on the last Richmond run was awesome, and that is very very twisty - rarely out of 3rd gear in most sections for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How odd, I just decided yesterday (without reading this thread) that I'd try the Race map, it was the first map I loaded when I got DS but in total I probably only tried it for 20 mins and never again since.

It's awesome! I run an Airtec Gen3 and DS intake, and this thing is FAST. I'm a Performance+ advocate but Race has a significantly fatter midrange but no discernible drop off in power in the high rev range.

I've taken videos in the past running Perf+ with the same mods, with half a tank of fuel and 11C ambient temp the car did 80-120km/h in 3rd in 3.48s. Last night with an empty tank and 23C temp it did the same run in 3.64s. I could perhaps attribute the slower time to higher temps, or perhaps the map doesn't hold power for as long as Perf+ I'm not sure, but from 6000-6500 it really does run out of steam and it needs 6500rpm to get to 120 in 3rd, so the time is understandable.

However, 4th gear 80-120, with Performance+ I recorded a time of 4.28s. With Race.... 3.78s. I couldn't quite believe 4th gear was only a fraction slower than 3rd and a whopping half a second faster than Perf+, but I've timed these runs in a video editor and as a comparison it's perfectly accurate.

As another comparison, a slightly more mental car with all the hard mods and a custom tune putting down 215kw to the wheels recorded an 80-120 4th gear time of 3.44s using the same timing method. So 3.78s from the Race map with a completely stock exhaust is definitely impressive.

The way boost comes in is a bit of a rush as well, no clutch slip but my clutch is basically brand new. I'll be sticking with this map for a while!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(furiousgibbon @ 23 Feb 2010, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How odd, I just decided yesterday (without reading this thread) that I'd try the Race map, it was the first map I loaded when I got DS but in total I probably only tried it for 20 mins and never again since.

It's awesome! I run an Airtec Gen3 and DS intake, and this thing is FAST. I'm a Performance+ advocate but Race has a significantly fatter midrange but no discernible drop off in power in the high rev range.

I've taken videos in the past running Perf+ with the same mods, with half a tank of fuel and 11C ambient temp the car did 80-120km/h in 3rd in 3.48s. Last night with an empty tank and 23C temp it did the same run in 3.64s. I could perhaps attribute the slower time to higher temps, or perhaps the map doesn't hold power for as long as Perf+ I'm not sure, but from 6000-6500 it really does run out of steam and it needs 6500rpm to get to 120 in 3rd, so the time is understandable.

However, 4th gear 80-120, with Performance+ I recorded a time of 4.28s. With Race.... 3.78s. I couldn't quite believe 4th gear was only a fraction slower than 3rd and a whopping half a second faster than Perf+, but I've timed these runs in a video editor and as a comparison it's perfectly accurate.

As another comparison, a slightly more mental car with all the hard mods and a custom tune putting down 215kw to the wheels recorded an 80-120 4th gear time of 3.44s using the same timing method. So 3.78s from the Race map with a completely stock exhaust is definitely impressive.

The way boost comes in is a bit of a rush as well, no clutch slip but my clutch is basically brand new. I'll be sticking with this map for a while!

Great stuff mate - very informative and interesting

I've tried all the DS maps quite a bit but Race less than the others for some reason
so I thought I'd give it a good few weeks and I really love it now

I think its the ideal mixture of power and smoothness - like the std car but much faster, with good pull from 2000rpm right up the the red-line

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I've never tried race because i thought it would be the same as race+ but with less grunt. Never really been a fan of race+ as it feels like a turbo diesel, i prefer DSCi. Since the clutch issue i've been using perf+ which has been brilliant! I might have to give race a go

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe its something to do with the cold weather (just above freezing) but my car has been really flying on Race lately

I've had DS on the car for over 18 months so I'm well-used to it ... but last night I actually laughed out loud at the performance I was getting
and I was chuffed how nicely the power was produced - building smoothly and holding boost really well without the spikes and lag you get with some other maps ...

Hope it stays like this when the weather warms up or I might get an upgraded IC after all

·
Registered
320 Posts
After Reading this the other day I loaded Race and used it to drive across to Wolf and back. Never had it on the car before but was well impressed. It's a lot smoother and no sudden power gain like race plus. Might keep it on for a while now

1 - 20 of 39 Posts