Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 ST3 Mk3 facelift. 24,000 miles ,I started developing what I believed may have been wheel bearing or tyre noise, it occurs from 5mph it doesn't change in pitch, tone, audible it's a low humming droning noise sounds like it's front end but with all windows down it's quite audible from the outside, it doesn't change with different road surfaces but it echoes if I drive over lines across the motorway lanes were sections of surface has been laid.
2 months is been going on and I've changed...
All shock absorbers including mounts
All wheel bearings
Both driveshafts
Tracked ends and bottom ball joints
3 times checked alignment (Hunter)
4 new michelin pilot sports
New discs and pads
Engine and gearbox mount
It's audible with clutch in or out and in neutral or in gear with no change
Is this looking like Transmission bearing somewhere I can't locate the problem with stethoscope with front wheels spinning under load on garage ramps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment it's not 100% but it's possible the humming noise is associated with the "marble" rattle I have from the crankshaft pulley Area. The technican at Ford said he's heard a few ST'S with this issue and it's difficult to diagnose until the we rip down the engine for inspection and its been the oil pump bearing and something called Harmonic balancer making the humming

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,213 Posts
Could be the sound symposer, if it’s still fitted, the facelift plays sound through the speakers, which can sometimes play up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts