Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Hi all

I have read various topics about the problems with movement in the drivers seat, most noticeably the information contained in this topic: http://www.focusstoc...=15#entry671641

However, I'm still not sure if this is the problem with my drivers seat. Now I know there must be some movement in the seat to get a squeaking noise, but I don't actually notice any movement as such.

Instead I get a horrible squeaking, creaking noise that sounds like it is coming from the left hand side of the seat base / the centre console. Previously, the noise has been fixed by me moving the seat and ensuring it 'clunks' properly back into place.

This time however, moving the seat has reduced the noise but not completely stopped the noise.

I therefore recorded the noise in the hope that people who have had problems with their drivers seat can confirm if it mine makes the same noise that their's did and what they did to solve the problem.

Video 1 - this was recorded as the car was moving:

http://s721.photobuc...nt=SDC14835.flv

Video 2 - this was recorded whilst stationery and with me fidgeting in the seat

http://s721.photobuc...nt=SDC14848.flv

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Donna, I used to get a similar creak with mine, mainly noticable when going round left hand corners - the noise came from down the left side of the seat next to the centre console etc.

I managed to fix it but had to take the seat out of the car. It's along while back now but I did post info at the time.

From memory I found it was coming from the plastic trim panel from the left side of the base, think there was a hook feature that clipped over the edge of the seat material (thick metal wire that runs round the edge of the leather and usually overlapped with leather material) where the hook was the carrier was bare metal rather than having leather around it - I put some foam here and also I think there was an arrowhead clip going into a metal panel so I put foam there too so the clip wasn't running against bare metal.

I'd probably remember more if I saw a seat out of the car , they come out fairly easy - 4 big torx bolts and a 7mm one on the multi plug but they are very heavy and difficult to manoeuver out of the car without damaging sills etc. You should disconnect the battery too before undoing the multiplug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get exactly the same problem.
I find that ratcheting up the seat a few notches works for a while, but it soon comes back.

I thought it could have been the left hand side of the seat catching on the centre console armrest but I can't seem to silence it.

·
Super Moderator
Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line Tech 230
8,092 Posts
If you manage to sort yours out before me Donna , could you post up some info please as mine does the exact same thing and it's driving me mad . The only way i have found of stopping it is to raise the seat from it's lowest position .

I seem to remember that Ryan had the same problem and his discription pretty much followed Troy's discription !!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the exact same problem left hand bend = seat squeak - I took it back to the main stealer whilst it was still under warranty but they fobbed me off with a "no fault found", and wanted to charge me £200 to rip the seat apart to investigate. No mention of how they would put the seat back together when they'd done that though!!

I see there's a TSB in the general forum about putting washers under the mounting bolts? Annoying as it is, think I'll live with the squeaking as it seems like a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies everyone, I'll try raising the seat up and see how if this stops the noise. Failing that, I'll come back to Troy's wise words

I'm guessing from your replies that you don't think this would be covered by the TSB?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Ah, I remember now also fixing a creak noise with some GT85 (smells nicer than WD40 lol ) sprayed onto some of the pivot points for various adjustment parts of the seat mechanism.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.