Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
CP320
1,703 Posts
I did this recently to both my driveshafts and it sorted the minor vibration I had right out. Cost me £210 roughly if I remember right for 2 genuine drive shaft boot kits courtesy of A&K and £60ish for 2 new tripod bearings from eBay. The job is easy took no time at all.
If it works for you then great but the real test will be when you've put 5-10k miles on them and they are still in one piece with no vibrations etc.

The problem seems to be that the OE quality and spec tripod bearings used by GKN/Spidan don't seem to be available to the aftermarket, meaning that refurbs done by third parties such as those named above use the ebay parts and they all tend to fail quickly.

·
Registered
2006 Electric Orange Focus ST3
30 Posts
If it works for you then great but the real test will be when you've put 5-10k miles on them and they are still in one piece with no vibrations etc.

The problem seems to be that the OE quality and spec tripod bearings used by GKN/Spidan don't seem to be available to the aftermarket, meaning that refurbs done by third parties such as those named above use the ebay parts and they all tend to fail quickly.
Absolutely and a fair comment. I’m running Mod XRS too so it’ll be a good test for them so I’ll be interested to see myself. May take a few years though I don’t do many miles a year in the ST.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

That is why you look for better ones and not the shobby ebay cheap ones, clearly cheapo ones stand out when i looked for mine on ebay,

21 - 25 of 25 Posts